I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji VSS reel seat installation
Posted by: Stuart Osterweil (---.rmscorp.com)
Date: November 10, 2017 09:56AM

Hello everyone. I was looking to get some of the board members experience/recommendations for installing a Fuji VSS real seat on my new build.

I have asked a few people already (including the techs where I purchased equipment) and have got some great advice, but was looking to hear more peoples experience installing a VSS seat.

The facts:This will be a spinning rod. I have a VSS 1615GB seat and Winn VSS Split Grip (EVA). I will be installing it UP-LOCKING, using a Fuji KDPS hood trimmed using "perfect fit" components.

The blank is a Point Blank PB701LXF, that has a listed butt diameter of 13.77mm.

My question is:

Do I ream the EVA before gluing to seat ? Or epoxy together and then ream ? Do I attach real seat and EVA (as a unit) before sliding seat onto the rod/arbors ? Or do I epoxy seat to rod, and EVA to seat at same time ? (meaning as they are put on the rod ?) Any tips on the amount of epoxy needed to get a good but clean fit between the reel seat and EVA ?

Also, since the ID of the "Fuji PF Cap Rings for Hidden Thread" is 14mm, it will need to be slid down on the blank BEFORE the reel seat is arbored and glued in place, correct ? Then screwed up after completion. (as the 14mm ID of the cap won't allow that to pass over the threads of the reel seat (that will be cut down to size). Just looking for comfirmation.

Basically, if you have any experience using/installing/gluing a Fuji VSS reel seat, please share. (I did use the search function, but didn't come up with many threads)

Thank you, (and sorry for the rambling)

Stu

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji VSS reel seat installation
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 11:25AM

I use the 17 VSS reel seat as my go to seat, but never use it uplocking. For me uplocking seats always come loose while fishing. I much prefer down locking seats; but that is your choice. With that said, I buy the VSS seat without a hood and use the SK2 hidden thread hood which fits the Fuji Winn thread cover sleeve or carbon fiber sleeve perfectly. I need to trim a little length from the thread portion of the seat to get the hidden thread hood to fit. I then glue polyurethane foam arbors into the seat. I have installed the VSS seat Winn grip combo in one of three ways: 1.Gluing the Winn split grip to the reel seat and when dry reaming the unit to fit the blank. 2. Reaming both both Winn split grip and the reel seat separately to fit and then gluing them together and after dry then gluing the unit to the blank, or 3. Gluing the reamed Winn grip and reamed seat on to blank at the same time. All three ways work just fine, just make sure you clean up any epoxy that gets on the grip and/or reel seat. Concerning your hidden thread hood and cap ring, you can glue it up as a unit. Since the butt diameter is 13.77 mm, you could slide the hood unit over the butt up to threads of the reel seat after dry and then glue your fighting butt in place. You could also slide the hood unit down the blank and tape it to the blank before you glue the seat/grip unit and fighting butt in place either way will work. I do not screw the hood on until everything is dry to make sure it does not accidentally get glued to the seat.
Norm

Date: November 10, 2017 12:03PM

Thank you for your detailed response Norman, I was hoping you would chime in.

All my main rods use the VSS seat uplocking, and I have never had an issue with them coming loose, though I have read others mention it. For spinning, I have 3 fingers in front of reel stem (so, reel stem between ring and pinky finger) and feel the VSS seat uplocking is the best, most comfortable option for this.

On the last build (I didn't build it), I used a Batson Woven Fore Grip as an uplocking nut, pretty nice, but I think the KDPS with the carbon fiber sleeve is even nicer (smoother transitions, if that makes sense) Pic of the Batson below before assembly.

[www.stripersonline.com]

Notice the "bump" between uplocking hood and trim ring on the Batson. That bump rests against my palm. No big deal, but trying to get rid of that by using the KDPS and perfect fit.

Date: November 10, 2017 03:11PM

I do not know if you have used the size 16 VSS Fuji Winn grip before, but it is pretty small! If that is ok with you then that’s fine, but I find the size 17 set up larger and more comfortable. I hold the reel stem with two fingers on each size. I like the SK2 hidden thread hood a little better than the KDPS, I think it gives a very smooth transition to the sleeve as well as to the reel foot, very comfortable with no lumps or bumps, or threads, or metal against your hand. Can still use the perfect fit hardware. I have not used the Fuji carbon fiber sleeve but use the Fuji Winn grip sleeve instead. I have used the CFX fighting butt grip bored out to about an inch using a 20 mm cork borer. I just slip the borer over the 20mm tenon this keeps the hole centered. This bored out CFX grip will fit perfectly on the size 17 SK2 hidden thread hood, of course I use it as a foregrip vs a rear grip. Good luck with your build.
Norm

Date: November 10, 2017 04:02PM

Norm,

Again, thank you for your response. Do you have a photo of the sk2 hidden thread/Winn grip sleeve ? (I have seen many sk2, but not with a Winn sleeve)

I have several rods with a VSS16 sized seats (one is specifically a Winn), and love the feel/size. Surprising since I have larger hands, but, as you say, personal preference. This will be a pretty lightweight setup, with a Daiwa 2000 sized reel.

There a picture in the photo section, I will try to post below, would love to know what kind of sleeve covering he uses on this:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: November 10, 2017 07:19PM

Stuart - Unhide your email and I will send you a couple of pictures or email me so I will have your email address to send the pictures.
Norm

Posted by: Stuart Osterweil (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 07:54PM

Norm, my emails to you are getting bounced.
I’m at vanstaaler@yahoo.com
Thank you

Date: November 10, 2017 08:56PM

Stuart - E-mail sent.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 13, 2017 10:42AM

For everyone's information...the VSS1615 is a "newer" size and features a larger ID than the 16. The 16 is 13mm ID and the 1615 is a 15mm ID. Both are 18mm OD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster