I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Height
Posted by: Dan Leitzen (---.jagcom.net)
Date: November 08, 2017 11:00AM

I am building a crankbait rod on a revcb70mh Rainshadow rod blank. I ordered 5 of the Fuji size 6 L all purpose BLAG guides for the running guides. When receiving the order the guide height seems to close to the blank. Is this something to be concerned about or are these the correct guide for this application. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Height
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2017 11:26AM

There can be advantages in having a lower guide height in certain situations. On spinning rods this is fine for running guides. On casting rods it will tend to reduce the tendency of the rod to twist or torque under load (but will not eliminate it) although this may require using a guide or two more than that you could get away with if using higher framed guides. Everything tends to be a bit of a compromise.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 08, 2017 12:37PM

The size 6 BLAG are commonly used in NGC casting rod builds as running guides. Their low profile is not a problem at all, and as Tom mentioned may actually be beneficial. How many and what sizes are you using for the stripper and transition guides. In my opinion, for a 7’ rod the minimum number of guides for a NGC layout would be 7 guides total, more commonly 8 guides total would be used, and in some cases up to 9 guides. Can use fewer guides if you do a spiral wrap. The Fuji K series guides can also be used in NGC layouts, and they are also low profile guides.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2017 04:26PM

I've built on the Rainshadow RX7 CB66MH. The Revelation series is an upgraded version of the RX7 series. They are really nice blanks. Of course if you already have yours in hand, you know that already. lol

As far as the size 6 BLAG guides go, they'll be fine, but with that blank I don't know that 5 will be enough. I'm assuming you'll be using a 3 guide reduction train? 3 double foot guides then to the single foot BLAG's? I personally go with a BLNAG 10, then to a BLNAG 8, then finally to a BLNAG 6 as the reduction train. You don't need the three step reduction train, but I use it because it looks right, and the third double foot guide gives you more height farther down the blank, which is going to help you some with the number of running guides you'll need. I personally use size 4.5 BLAGs as running guides just to cut the weight down in that section of the blank, but as said earlier, 6's for running guides will be fine.

I use static load for guide placement. That, and how closely you want the path of the line to follow the blank, are going to tell you how many running guides you need. Also whether or not you mind if the line touches the blank in between guides. I personally position the guides so the line won't touch the blank, (just my personal preference) but many people will position them so the line will touch the blank. Letting the line touch the blank may cut down on the number of running guides you use, it may not. You definitely don't want the line to pass below the blank though

Placing the guides using static load is the best way, but I can tell you that with that blank, and really probably any crankbait blank, it is going to result in guides spaced unlike any factory rod you've probably ever seen. It's because of the action and the power of the blank. Most of the flex in that blank is going in the middle third of the blank. That means you're going to have some odd spacing's. I'll give you an example ..... measuring the tip towards the butt on the rod I built on the CB66MH blank .....tip to 1st guide, 3.875, 1st to 2nd guide, 3.875. 2nd to 3rd guide, 4.375. 3rd to 4th guide, 4.250. 4th guide to 5th guide, 4.125. 5th guide to 6th, 4.500. And 6th to 7th guide, 4.500.

As you can see the spacing got closer together further down the blank. Now on this particular rod I used #5 BLAG's as running guides. Also as I said I don't let the line touch the blank. Your measurements won't be the same, I merely am trying to show you how the flex in the blank spaces the guides differently. If it were me I would resist the urge to make all of the spaces between the guides "look pretty" and let static loading place them for you.

Also about the rod I was measuring ..... I trimmed 6" off the butt of the blank to make the rod 6' long. I have 6 running guides on this particular rod. The 7th guide from the tip on the rod I am referencing is the beginning of my reduction guides, so it's a double foot BLNAG 6. You're going to have another probably 8" of blank to deal with. I say 8" because of where you'll most likely have your reel seat positioned versus where mine is. I have a 7" rear grip on this particular rod. My guess is you'll be around 9.5 - 10" I would think you're going to need at least 1 more running guide and maybe 2 or 3, depending out you space them.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post. I just wanted to explain why I think you'll need more running guides. And you are going to love that blank. the 1 oz upper lure weight range is probably going to be pushing it, but it will throw 3/4 and 5/8 oz baits, great. And it will really keep the fish buttoned up. It will be an awesome rattle trap style bait rod as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 05:35PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Dan Leitzen (---.sub-174-219-137.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2017 12:45AM

Guys thanks for the reply. David I understand what you are talking about with the spacing. I have 8 guides total so it looks like I will be picking up a couple more guides. This rod is replacing the original ch70mh rod blank that was stepped on and broken. My plan was for a double foot guides of 12 - 10 then singles of 7 - 6 - 6- 6 - 6 - 6. I might have to rethink this set up. Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster