I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon fiber grip builders?
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2017 11:29PM

I just received an order from Mud Hole ..... awesome customer service, and fast shipping .... as usual. Just thought I'd say that.

Anyhow, part of that order was one of the CFX carbon fiber grip making kits. I'm hoping to get a couple of questions answered, and perhaps any tips those who are familiar with making these grips, may be kind enough to share.

My first question is. Of course I pulled out the components and slid the carbon fiber sleeve, onto the foam core. Now I realize that both items are dry so I didn't expect the sleeve to slide easily on the unfinished surface of the foam core. I am curious as to how easily I will be able to manipulate the sleeving once I've wet the surface of the foam core? Does the epoxy add enough lubrication to allow straightening of weave of the carbon fiber sleeve, or would I be better served to coat the foam core with epoxy, let it dry, and then sand the surface smooth, prior to wetting it out again, and then covering it with the carbon sleeve?

One of the grips I'm planning on making will have a length of 9 1/2", and I want to be able to easily manipulate the sleeve so I can get the weave pattern as straight as possible. I realize this isn't the procedure followed in any of the videos about making the CFX grips, but I don't mind doing extra steps if they will result in a superior finished product.

My second question is .... How short of a grip can you make? I would like to make a small 5/8" long foregrip for one of the rods I'll be building over the winter. Has anyone that has experience making this type of grip, ever made one that short? If so, might you have a tip or two to share? I'm assuming it can be done. At least I hope it can.

My third question is .... I want to contour the 9 1/2" grip I am going to make. I am going to be shooting for a finished OD of 1.06" at the reel seat and at the butt of the grip, tapering it to a finished OD of .750" at the middle of the grip. The blank I will be putting the grip on has a diameter of .567 at a distance of 4 3/4" from the butt of the blank which would be the halfway point of the grip. That would leave me with a 1/8" wall thickness in that portion of the grip. Is this too thin of a wall diameter? I also plan on top coating the grips. At the very least with a couple of coats of Permagloss. or depending on how I like the Permagloss only top coat, maybe another coat of epoxy, then sanding the surface smooth prior to a final coat of Permagloss.

The pre made CFX grips I have are very rigid, and I know once the grip is on the rod, that wall thickness will present no problems, But does anyone foresee a possible problem in reaming the grip?

And my final question .... at least for now lol I have watched several videos of people making these grips, but none of them have actually showed making a tenon for a butt cap. The people presenting the videos mention it can be done easily, but they don't show how it's done;. Would I turn the tenon on the core, wet just the surface of the grip and not the tenon, then secure the sleeve.then after it dries just cut the sleeve at the tenon? I hope that makes sense.

Anyhow ..... I am really looking forward to doing this. I ask these questions simply to help me avoid any delays that may arise from having to re order more material.

As always, any help you folks can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks peoples !!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber grip builders?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2017 12:43AM

David, I build lots of carbon fiber grips and fighting butts, and can give you some advice as well as answering your questions. This is best done via email, rather than taking up a lot of space on this site.

My email address is: Philerick@sbcglobal.net

Date: November 04, 2017 06:46AM

Phil, thank you very much for the offer, and that would be outstanding!!!

It is definitely an offer I will be taking you up on. I'll be sending the e mail from my (don't laugh) AOL e mail account. It's the only one I use. It will be from Bassbme@aol.com

I'd just use the e mail account from here, but I honestly can't remember my user name, my password, or even how to access the account. If you'd prefer I use the e mail account from here, I can do some investigating and then get back to you?

Either way is fine by me, I want you to feel secure in which ever way you choose.

I will title the e mail "carbon fiber grip help" And thank you again !!! I know with your help, I'll be able to get better results than learning on my own.

Thank you kind sir

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2017 08:17AM

As a last resort, and providing Phil can't get you on track, you can read the original article from the guys who invented foam-core, carbon skinned grips in the Volume 10 #6 issue of RodMaker Magazine.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 04, 2017 11:59AM

Within the sub-links here are very good instructions on all aspects of doing these grips: [rileyrods.com]

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 04, 2017 01:48PM

You can also go to the mudhole site. Mudhole had a live demo the other day that can answer most if not all your questions. Good luck

Date: November 04, 2017 02:50PM

Tom, thank you for your response and providing the Rodmake Magazine information It is very much appreciated. I'm embarrassed to say that I am not yet a Rodmaker Magazine subscriber, but I plan to be very soon. I knew I would enjoy building rods when I started doing it, but I really didn't think I'd be interested in learning more of the ...... I guess finer points of rod building isn't the proper phrase ..... the more intricate and decorative parts of rod building. I've only have one copy of a Rodmaker Magazine, one I received at an Ohio Rod Builders gathering. It's a beautiful magazine, and as I get more deeply into building rods, one that I definitely need to receive on a regular basis. I will certainly be subscribing very soon.

Michael, thank you for your response, and for the link you provided as well. Much appreciated to be sure. I looked through the information in the link and it is very thorough. It also made me think back to a Youtube seminar that I watched a few years ago. It was Mike Pederson of Riley Rods doing the presentation. Excellent seminar, and very helpful, but it still leaves me with questions.

Capt. Michael. Thank you for your response as well. As with the other responses, it is much appreciated. Actually, about the Mud Hole presentation you mentioned. I watch it, and while it peaked my interest enough to purchase one of the CFX grip making kits. I don't mean to down play their presentation, but it left me with a multitude of questions. Pretty much the ones I presented in this opening post of this thread.

I'm hoping with Phil's help and the Mike Pederson Youtube seminar, that I can produce a quality product without learning the hard way. It's not that I want to take short cuts in the learning process. In fact even with the help of Phil and others, I know there will be a learning process. I just like to learn from those that know, and adjust my process from there.

Thanks again to everyone who posted. I truly and sincerely appreciate it.

Posted by: Jerry Driggers (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2017 04:38PM

David shoot me an email, I think I have two copies of the rod maker magazine with the carbon fiber grip article. I'll mail you one if you want it. jerry@driftbrotherstackle.com

Date: November 05, 2017 07:47AM

Phil, thank you very much for the e mail. Reply sent.

And a note to Tom ...... you have the best web site membership on the internet ....... never have I seen members so willing to help a fellow member. I thank you and the sponsors for making it possible.

I absolutely love this place!!

Posted by: chris adams (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2017 08:53AM

David,
Good morning, Chris from Mud Hole here. We did a facebook live video on working with the exact kit not too long ago. Might not answer all your questions but you can see us work with it in real time and pass along a few tips. Here is a link to the youtube recording of the Facebook live episode. [youtu.be]

Date: November 06, 2017 04:53PM

Chris, thank you for the reply. I have watched that video a couple of times. Those guys were having fun and did a nice presentation. So good that I ordered one of the kits. lol

I just came here because it left me with some questions, As usual ,the fine members of this site took care of a relative newbie.

A special thank you to Phil Erickson. He was kind enough to help me with questions I had via e mail. He not only shared his procedures for making these grips with me, he also helped by providing with a great idea for a particular question I had.

Thank you Phil .... you are kind man. Thank you again for your help.

I truly do love Rodbuilding.org !!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2017 04:57PM

Although the basic steps for building these are nearly always similar, each builder has devised various tips and tricks for the way they like to do things. The only thing worse than having too much information is in not having enough.

Posted by: Frank McKinney (---.sub-70-196-0.myvzw.com)
Date: November 18, 2017 07:42PM

Go to you tube and search for Riley Rods videos on carbon fiber handles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster