I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod guides
Posted by: Hunter Weber (---.frgo.qwest.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 11:11AM

I was curious how people store all their guides. I seem to order extra or the wrong ones every time I order guides. Starting to get a collection

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 12:01PM

Hunter.
I use Plano plastic divided boxes. I have a separate Plano box for each type of guide. i.e. spinning guides, casting guides, salt water guides - etc.
Then, within the box, I store each guide size in a separate compartment. Inexpensive, easy to find the correct guide, easy to check stock and reorder as needed.

[www.amazon.com]

Then, I store all of my Plano boxes in a bigger rubber maid plastic box - that is easy to store and makes for a lot of compact storage in a small space.

Good luck

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 01:46PM

Hello Hunter.

I use the 14"X18" plastic parts cabinets that have 60 smallish draws that I get from Lowes for about $20.00.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 03, 2017 02:57PM

I just use a small shipping box marked NEW guides and have them in the small zip packages they come in and label them as to what mfg & style they are [Especially if they are Fly Rod guides] so I know what they are not by guess by god is it this or that and if I ever have a need to replace a guide for a customer or friend I can find a match for what is needed .
I also have a box for used guides

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2017 02:58PM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (142.0.215.---)
Date: November 03, 2017 05:43PM

I went to one of the big sewing stores and discovered that they have large plastic boxes for storing both thread and small parts. They work great for both.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2017 10:17AM

I keep mine in the original package, usually a labeled plastic bag, put a punch hole in the top and peg them to a 2X4 peg board on the wall right by my work bench. Just about all my small components are stored that way, ex., winding checks, tip tops. Used to work at Dicks Sporting Goods so peg boards are a natural for me.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2017 02:06PM

Ray,
That method works, but I like to conserve space and to be able to completely empty the room of rod building materials when I use the room for a different purpose. Hence my use of Plano divided storage boxes for all of my components as well as thread.

Then, the multiple Plano boxes are stored in Rubbermaid containers with covers, so that all of the items can be easily stored and used when needed, or quickly stored away when not needed.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2017 05:48PM

X 2 on Roger's idea on the Plano box. Holds hundreds of guides and it is super easy to see what you have and when to re-order. I use a separate box for each style guide, casting, spinning, fly, etc And you can order extra dividers to load it up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2017 05:52PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Robert Wood (162.252.129.---)
Date: November 06, 2017 03:51PM

I use the same set up as Robert A. Guist the multiple drawers work well then I use a piece of scotch tape and a sharpie to write the size, style and manufacturer. And I can store all my other stuff in it like the marbling pigments, winding checks and other stuff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster