I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perfect pitchin' blank question
Posted by: Ben Bowne (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2017 10:46AM

Hey folks, I've been a (very) long time follower of the forum, great info and great advice - you have all helped me immensely in my rod building journey. I started building commercially about a year ago - mostly focus on fly rods and bass rods and am located in North Texas. I have a very astute client that is looking for the "perfect" pitchin' rod. looking for recommendations from y'all. My guy is a shorter angler, and tells me he feels like a 7'3" rod is a bit long for him. He also likes to throw smaller baits - 4" creature baits with light weights - around 3/8 oz. Pitching around brush and rock piles, not punching mats. We are looking at NFC 705s but there are several material choices for this blank and I don't have a lot of experience with NFC. I have built a lot of MHX rods, some Batsons, and St. Croix. If any of you were going to build a pitching rod for lighter baits, around the 7' length and cost wasn't a factor, which route would you go? Thanks much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perfect pitchin' blank question
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2017 01:37PM

The NFC Blanks are very nice but in my opinion a little over priced, a good buy if you can get them on sale. The NFC HM705-1 is rated as MH and has an intrinsic power rating of 608.39 gms and the NFC IM705-1 has a power rating of 565 gms. So the HM Blank has more power than the IM blank. Another choice you might want to consider is a Point Blank. The PB701MHF has an intrinsic power of 800.62 gms and is more powerful than the NFC blanks, and is also lighter in weight and cost less. The PB701MF has a power rating of 689.98 gms. Because of the way they are designed the Point Bllanks tend to balance better than most other rods I have made.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2017 05:17PM

First let me say that I have only built 7 rods to date, so I don't have a lot of experience with the blanks of many different manufacturers. I have two NFC blanks from the Gen2 IM series that I will be starting builds on very soon, but they will be the first NFC blanks I've built on. They are very nice blanks.

With that said, were it me I would build on the Immortal IMMC72MH, and take 2" off the butt to make it the 7' length you're looking for. It is IMO a phenomenal blank. Very sensitive, with serious power (taking 2" off the butt will not hurt the power of this blank) and it will pitch the baits with the weights you're talking about, extremely well.

I have two baits that I usually use when pitching. A Reaction Innovations 4.20 Sweet Beaver, or a 3 1/2" tube from Dry Creek Outfitters. My standard weight most of the time is a 3/16 oz tungsten, but I will move up to 5/16 when I need to get deeper into thick wood cover. I use a stock Shimano Castaic SF reel, 20# Tatsu fluorocarbon line, and I can pitch those baits 25 - 30' with ease using the rod I built on that blank. If I drop down to a smaller creature bait .... say a Baby Brush Hog. The 3/16 oz weight is a little light, but the 5/16 oz weight puts it right back in the ball park.

As mentioned earlier, I have yet to fish an NFC blank so this is just conjecture on my part, but I would say the Immortal blanks from Rainshadow (Batson) are every bit as good as the NFC IM blanks. One of the NFC blanks I will be building on soon is the IM MB709. There is only on reason I am building on this NFC blank, and not an Immortal. The NFC MB709 is advertised as having a moderate fast action. There isn't a blank in the Immortal line up that has a moderate fast action, and the power that the NFC MB709 has. And that is the only reason I went with the NFC blank.

I absolutely love the Immortal blanks, and I can't imagine a better blank to build a pitching rod on, than the IMMC72MH.

Oh and I also think the Titanium Chrome color is gorgeous.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2017 08:49PM

Since your talking about NFC, has anyone try the new Delta series? Their price looks good for a USA made blank especially if they perform well.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 07, 2017 03:19PM

From the RainShadow lineup we’d recommend:
Revelation – REVC72M - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
Eternity – ETEC72MH -[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

As well as the Immortal that David mentions.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster