I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gusa predator question
Posted by: jim payne (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2017 06:48PM

Wondering how a gusa predator compares to a seeker Hercules 70h. Sensitivity, casting, backbone and overall rod action? I own the seeker Hercules 70h but don't have access to a gusa predator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gusa predator question
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 28, 2017 09:39AM

[merricktackle.com] all the specs on the blank your asking about

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2017 10:28AM

Jim,
If I remember right, the owner of United Composites who makes the GUSA blank was one of the upper people at Seeker before it was bought, might try asking them. There is also a shop in I know of that sells both Seeker and United Composites finished rods, the owner is well versed in both, email me and I'll passed on the info.
There is much more variety in rod blank designs now at United Composites since they opened up the blanks that used to only go to Australia to the US market. I've only seen a few of these rods, they are a faster blank, heavier construction, very powerful lifting blank, and a dual helix graphite / glass composite construction.
If this blank your thinking of using is older stock, built say between 2004 and 2014, be advised there were some quality issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2017 11:48AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2017 11:15AM

Spencer is correct, Randy Penny, now owns United Composites and was the designer of the Hercules series when he worked at Seeker. You could call him at United Composites and ask him.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2017 05:42PM

Just don't ask me, lol

Date: October 28, 2017 05:55PM

I know all the stuff that's been stated. Billy your input would be great! I know you helped with the Hercules design. Got an email back from United composites and they recommended the tilefish but that one has the backbone of a wahoo and they rate that one as moderate in action. I want shut down on the low end like a Hercules...

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2017 07:19PM

The tilefish is a fast action rod with an 8 tip same butt diameter as the wahoo, the wahoo has a 10 tip which makes sense as it's rated as a more moderate blank. Faster rods of the same power will have a softer tip, where it shuts off is not part of the deal necessarily, and whether that shut off point is any stiffer and more powerful than a more moderate rod isn't necessarily known either.

Date: October 28, 2017 07:22PM

ROdgeeks XC 736. THey are not in production yet, but they will be added soon. I have one here, and quite a few 8' prototypes which we are closing in on a finalized design. I designed teh Rodgeeks Extreme Composites (XC) line with JAson form St Croix, everyone who liked teh HErcules loves these.

Posted by: jim payne (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 28, 2017 09:49PM

I've read that the tilefish takes on a very deep bend under heavy pressure. Maybe I'm looking for a unicorn lol

Date: October 29, 2017 05:40AM

Where do you live, and what fishing are you looking to do? xlrods@yahoo.com

Posted by: jim payne (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 29, 2017 11:11AM

Florida....structure for large snook and land based tarpon fishing. I've tried a lot of blanks. I have some really good rods built on muskie blanks but they feel bottomed out under heavy pressure. Looking for a combination of light weight, sensitive and BIG shut off backbone like a seeker

Date: October 29, 2017 01:00PM

The Rodgeeks 736 has the same line ratings 40-80#, the tip is a bit heavier - but way lighter than the GUSA PRedator or Wahoo, and it shuts off. Blank weight is 6.3oz

Date: January 12, 2018 06:22PM

Update...ended up getting the gusa tilefish 80 and it is better than i could of imagined. More sensitive and powerful than any rod I've used before and casts a 2oz jig like a rocket...AMAZING

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster