I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Tip Section Failure
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s2807.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: October 27, 2017 01:19PM

Before posting about this rod failure I ordered and received Volume 12 – Issue 6 of RodMaker magazine. I was hoping to see a fracture similar to one I encountered recently on a fly rod. This is a rod that has been in use for around five years – my favorite five weight. It was an evening where I’d landed a couple trout, made several additional fly presentations, then moved to another location on the river (crossing a wide island where I had to push through some brush). As I was pulling line off my reel to cast again I found that three inches of the tip section had slid down my fly line and was clinking against my rod.

I’ve since mailed it to the manufacturer for their opinion but I thought I’d put this out to the group for their input.

I'll be unavailable for a few days but will try to look in for responses.

Jeff

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 01:20PM by Jeff Shafer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Tip Section Failure
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 27, 2017 01:26PM

If it was good before you busted brush and broken after you busted brush, my guess is you broke it busting brush. With that sort of damage you might have felt it pull, or push on something. Maybe you had the sections joined during your overland trek?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2017 01:38PM

Hard to say from this angle, but it appears the tip was subject to being twisted.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2017 01:59PM

Brush break

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 27, 2017 02:43PM

A long time ago someone told me to carry a rod butt first through the brush. It has been great advice, and not only for brush busting, but for carrying them anywhere. It's better to lead with the butt. It's hard to break one in tension, which is what you get if it snags on something while being carried butt first.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2017 02:53PM

Yeah...I'll say pretty much what everyone else has...you busted it in the brush. I would recommend carrying butt first, and with a rod that long/light I would go ahead and break it down into it's pieces. You don't have to take the line out of the guides. Just slip out of the ferrule and fold it down against itself.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2017 03:43PM

use to call that blunt force trauma
I agree with Jay always make it as small as possible and butt first

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s2807.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: October 27, 2017 04:06PM

My guess was that I didn’t detect stabbing an obstruction in the brush. I’d pretty much ruled out crushing, and it was unlikely the tip section was twisted (though the twisting breakage pictures in RodMaker looked closest to the damage incurred). Sometimes the brain fails to function properly when charging to a pool with rising trout.....

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2017 06:40PM

After five years use, it sure was not a manufacturing defect! As bad as the break is, I'm surprised you didn't notice it when it happened!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2017 07:05PM

Depending on the manufacturer you may be able to buy a new tip section.
Norm

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2017 07:12PM

here is something you might like to make for your self we use to take a 6 ft length of heavy wall pvc pipe drilled a couple of holes about 18 inches from the ends and strung a piece of cord through and cut a slot on one end to accommodate the reel and added a wrist loop so that aside it from being a scabbard to trek with the rod through the woods it also was used as a wading staff but we were always crawling where most wouldn't go. now it is just getting hard to go where everyone goes but that is part of getting old and arthritic.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: October 27, 2017 09:11PM

"After five years use, it sure was not a manufacturing defect! As bad as the break is, I'm surprised you didn't notice it when it happened!"

I didn't detect anything when it separated. Undaunted, I slid the broken piece off the line and presented a tan caddis to a rising trout. Line slipped easily through the last snake guide as the trout made a run for it.

Tip sections are available for the rod. It will be in action soon.

Thank you for the replies.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 29, 2017 01:02PM

Oversleeve it 6",wrap it with thread, epoxy coat it and your done. Then go out and break the butt wading across that stream.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster