I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mudhole Live
Posted by: Taylor Belinger (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2017 10:13AM

Hey all!

We are back on Facebook live starting tonight at 6:30 Eastern!

We'll be doing a demo on how to make your own carbon fiber grips - and giving away several of the CFX Kits. Live Q+A and details on our upcoming Halloween sale as well!

Taylor Belinger
Creative
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc
400 Kane Ct. | Oviedo, FL 32765
Phone: 407-447-7637 x 113 | Fax: 407-447-7640

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 11:20AM by Taylor Belinger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mudhole Live
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2017 10:14PM

Thanks for the demo Taylor, appreciated!

I was wondering about how to successfully apply a top coat to these grips - seems like they would need to be sanded smooth before a coating (Permagloss) is applied? Would another epoxy coat or two be necessary? I would be afraid of sanding into the foam core otherwise.

I tried to top-coat a cfx grip once - applied ProKote finish directly (very light sanding) and had major bubble issues created from the voids between the woven fibers. Took a few coats to finally produce a smooth grip, but there's got to be an easier way...

Thank you!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2017 10:38PM

I top coat my CFX grips with Permagloss. A couple of coats is more than sufficient. If you want a higher gloss and/or more depth use finish epoxy over the Permagloss; no bubbles. [m.youtube.com]
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2017 11:09PM

Use a coat of epoxy as a sealer, sand smooth and then topcoat with PermaGloss. The video that Norm linked shows how this is done.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2017 11:54PM

Wish I could of seen it, 9 out of 10 seconds of the entire show was blank, or frozen. Audio too. Hope it ends up on your videos.

Date: October 27, 2017 07:03AM

Thanks very much, - do you sand the CFx grips down smooth first as shown in the video, or add another coat of epoxy, then sand? No sanding? (Sorry to be a pain!). Appreciated

Date: October 27, 2017 08:15AM

Mike,

I make my own cores and skin them so their surface may be a little different from the CFX surface. I've not seen one of those. However, there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't apply a coat of epoxy to them, sand smooth, and then coat with PermaGloss. The idea would be only to fill in any open pores/spaces etc. and provide a smooth surface to apply the PermaGloss to. Remember that PermaGloss is very, very thin and doesn't effectively build or fill any voids, even small ones. If you try to use PermaGloss as a filler, it would take more coats than most people would care to bother with.

Date: October 27, 2017 08:34AM

Thanks Tom, I'll add another epoxy coat, sand, and permagloss. (Sorry I missed your earlier post stating the same.) Thanks again!

Date: October 27, 2017 09:25AM

Hey Spencer,

We will be adding this to our YouTube page by early next week, so keep your eyes peeled
MH YouTube: [www.youtube.com]

Enjoy!

Taylor Belinger
Creative
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc
400 Kane Ct. | Oviedo, FL 32765
Phone: 407-447-7637 x 113 | Fax: 407-447-7640

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 27, 2017 10:12AM

Taylor, where can I go on your website to find the MH utube page with previous videos? Is there a link somewhere on your Resource Page? thanks, Buzz Butters

Date: October 27, 2017 10:55AM

Buzz,

Here is the video from the CFX demo on last nights live segment

[www.youtube.com]

Enjoy!

Date: October 27, 2017 12:12PM

The completed CFX grips that Mudhole sells are ready to go, they are sealed and sanded and have a matte black finish. Top coating with Permagloss give a more satin like finish that I like, for more gloss and depth epoxy coat them. The only problem I have with an epoxy coat is that with time you get a yellowish cast and it is not as hard or as durable as Permagloss.
Norm

Date: October 27, 2017 12:18PM

Norman,

I've not gotten any sort of a semi-gloss with the Permagloss. It gives me a very bright, shiny, glossy finish. Is this the result of using it specifically on the matte finished CFX grips?

Date: October 27, 2017 01:27PM

Tom,
I do think that may be the case. Permagloss is a very thin coating when compared to an epoxy coating, and on these grips Permagloss allows for the texture of the grip to still be there. The Permagloss finish it is certainly not as glossy as an epoxy coat. I have noticed that if I top coat with Permagloss over a smooth epoxy finish, there is much more gloss.and depth. So the satin finish I am talkin about may very well be a combination of the starting matte finish of the grip along with its texture. In any case I do like the looks and feel I get using only Permagloss.on these grips. That is just my preference, others may prefer a glossier and smoother finish.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2017 09:10AM

A question for Terry Belinger, or really anyone that may be able to answer them.

First. I am going to be using CFX grips on my next two builds. One build using a grip that I am going to build myself from one of the CFX kits available, and one build using pre-made grips available from Mud Hole.

I'm going to be using the same laminating epoxy used to laminate the carbon fiber to the foam core, to top coat the grips prior to a final coating with Permagloss. My reason for this is that the laminating epoxy supposedly doesn't yellow over time. The grip I plan on making will be 10" in length. The pre-made grips I'll be using are the 2.35" fighting butt, and the 2.25" tapered foregrip. Would I be safe in assuming that barring the need for more than two coats to achieve a smooth top coat, that the amount of epoxy supplied in the kit will be sufficient for what I want to accomplish?

So basically, building and top coating one 10" grip, and top coating two smaller grips that total less than 5" in length?

And finally a word of caution to those that may be first timers in reaming the CFX grips. They ream extremely easily. Go slow and test fit frequently.

A lesson learned the hard

Date: October 28, 2017 08:12PM

The laminating epoxy will yellow over time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster