I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide insert durability
Posted by: Zach Moore (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: October 25, 2017 05:21PM

Hello everyone,

I am starting on my first rod builds and I am looking to build some xh rods for flathead and blue cat fishing. I want to use black guides just for the overall color scheme, and my question is on guide durability. In the catfish world nowadays, everyone loses their mind over rods that have guides with inserts. Everyone is going with stainless guides without inserts. However, these are typically just available in chrome or smoke colors. I am looking at forecast su guides currently and just wanted to know if there is a significant difference now between the durability of guides with inserts and guides without? I know that pretty much every heavy duty saltwater rod out there has guides with inserts so I can't imagine that there is much of a difference but then again I have very little knowledge on the subject of rod building.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide insert durability
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2017 05:46PM

the only time I have had a insert fail was because of abuse or trying to reel something through the ring that didn't fit like a swivel,sinker, or being stepped on whacked against the side of the boat .
over all they are durable and will preform well I have rods that I built 30 plus years ago with ceramic insert guide rings and they are still as good as day one.
It is in how you care for your equipment

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2017 06:02PM

Depends on what kind of person you are, if you want to fish in some seriously nasty stuff, banging your rod around amongst the rocks, stepping on it, falling on it, just throw it in the back of the truck and let it ride back there with the oil cans and funnel from the last two oil changes, a spare wheel , and the alternator you replaced a year ago, go with the no insert guides.
If you take reasonable care of your rods, you can run anything you want. I've never had a guide fail that wasn't totally my fault, and I had to work at it to break it. Ceramic guides have been around since before WW II, if they didn't have their place they wouldn't be marketing them. I'm right now replacing some no insert guides off a Berkeley rod with ceramic insert guides, all the no insert guides are grooved from fishing line. The rod's 3 years old and owned by a not particularly avid angler, by contrast my Berkeley Series One rod same length and power, fished to death with the factory SiC insert guides shows it's 30 years of use with zero guide failures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 06:13PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2017 06:10PM

As you hear above, most of the criticism of insert guides is their loss of the insert, usually through some type of misuse. For you application, go ahead and use them and take care of them.

Posted by: Zach Moore (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: October 25, 2017 07:34PM

Thanks for the reply's! I will just be building some rods for myself and my brother and I take good care of my gear and even have a pvc rod rack inside of my suv to transport rods without damaging them so like everyone said above sounds like I should be good to go with the forecast guides.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 25, 2017 08:29PM

You could step up to the Alps guides with recessed rings.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 26, 2017 08:38AM

Use a towel or other method to pad your rods and prevent them from being free to shift and rattle around in the tube.

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2017 01:53PM

I am of the view that stainless guides for some applications are actually superior to others. For years (decades actually) I considered that the higher quality the insert, the more I wanted the guide on any rod I built. Not so any more, even if I can babythe rod (as I do).

For applications where even modest violence is going to happen: like falling and smacking the rod on a rock while wading (think trout/salmon/smallmouth), the rod falling out of a secure rod rack and hitting the deck (such as on long range boats), travelling to distant countries where rod failure was not an option, are all situations where stainless guides excel. They will take a licking and keep on ticking. Catfishing to me seems like one of those situations.

Think the adage "Perfect is the enemy of good enough".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster