I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Your Opportunity To Vote - Retire, Restore, Rebuild
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2017 12:56PM

Many years ago I acquired a Granger Champion 4 wt., 3 piece, 2 tip rod on the cheap at an estate sale. The good news the ferrules are, surprisingly, tight and sound, there are no sets in any section, and the bamboo glue joints appear to be sound. The not so good news is multiple wraps are failed or failing, the cork, which was less than flor grade when new, is in need of replacement, guides are badly worn and exhibit some corrosion, and the varnish is badly discolored as expected for a rod well over 75 years old. I temporarily wrapped on guides in place of those missing, and the rod casts a modern 4wt WF line like a dream.

The question is what to do. The options are:
1. Retire the rod and make it a wall hanger over the basement fireplace;
2. Restore the rod as close to As New, As Originally Built as possible, or;
3. Strip and rebuild preserving only the original reel seat and Champion inscription, refinish, and replace all other components with what Granger might have used had today's components and materials been available.

So, let me know what option, 1, 2, or 3, you would select.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your Opportunity To Vote - Retire, Restore, Rebuild
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2017 05:51PM

If you like fishing with it rebuild it , It is like that pair of shoes that fit just right.
just do it right scrape the old finish and keep the logo add new parts where needed and your old friend will be with you till the end !

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2017 06:12PM

Option #2

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 25, 2017 07:26PM

Fix just what needs fixing and no more. Fish it! That's what guy that built it meant for it.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s2807.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: October 26, 2017 07:17AM

My decision would depend upon the length of the rod. I was in a similar situation with a no-name 8'6" rod that wasn't fun to cast, and a 9'0" Shakespeare that was in a condition similar to yours. For both rods I stripped everything and only used the blank sections and original agate stripping guides to build shorter rods that I've enjoyed fishing. Blasphemy according to some.

Changing the length of bamboo rods can be a crap shoot regarding line weight, and you're never entirely sure they'll cast well when reconstructed. But at the end of the day it's your call on rebuilding for fishing, or for display.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster