I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hail Mary to Make My Favorite Fly Rod Whole Again
Posted by: Brian Cunningham (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 05:47PM

**Disclaimer: I'm well aware of how long this shot is, but I'm gonna throw it up in the air and hope for the best**

For the past several months I've been fishing a custom fiberglass fly rod and Pflueger Medalist reel combo that I found in my mother-in-law's garage. Presumably it was my father-in-law's, who was an avid fly fisherman before he passed away in 2005. I only recently took up fly fishing, learning to fly cast with a fairly inexpensive Redington 9' 5wt graphite combo, and I thought this might make a nice small stream rod for the North Georgia freestone streams I was beginning to explore. Needless to say this little 6'6"ish glass rod was something of a revelation for me after a little trial and error trying to figure out what size line it would answer to best. I took it out and caught a couple dozen panfish on it over the course of a few weeks and absolutely fell in love with it. Next, I took it out on a large tail water near where I live to put it on some trout and was was about halfway through an awesome day catching little rainbows when the tip section flew off, sank and disappeared from my life forever.

When I recovered from the shock I wondered if I couldn't figure out a way to make it whole again. Problem is I don't even know where to start. I've inspected it thoroughly and don't see any markings on it that might indicate the blank type. The only thing I can find is "Featherweight" on the butt cap and 'DON GUENTHER' stamped just above the handle. I assume Mr. Guenther was the original builder and a hobbyist, as nothing comes up in a Google search relating his name to any other rods or to fly fishing in general.

So my question is: am I wasting my time? Would I be better served just buying a new short glass rod and moving on? Who the @#$%& is Don Guenther and where can I find him?

Somebody steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help and/or sage advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hail Mary to Make My Favorite Fly Rod Whole Again
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 06:36PM

Check out Heddon featherweight rods.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 06:36PM

With it being over 20 years old, unlikely you will find a replacement tip section, maybe if someone can identify the rod, you might find a similar rod for sale. Any new manufactured tip will be substantially different!

I take it the line was not through the guides when it came off, otherwise reeling in should have recovered the section.

Posted by: Brian Cunningham (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 07:22PM

I had about 2' of fly line out. I assumed the fly would catch at least one of the guides, but no such luck. Never had any issues with the ferrules previously, so it shocked the heck out of me.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 10:24PM

if the bottom isn't silt and water isn't fast moving and fairly clear get a mask and snorkel you know about where it hit the water get in and take a swimming hunt for it

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2017 01:56AM

Just about three months ago I lost a tip of a spinning rod in the Delaware Canal of central NJ. The next day I went back with a weighted snag hook that I cut off below the barbs which left me with a shallow treble. I tied it to a length of mason cord and probed the area I was fishing and with luck was able to retrieve it. That would be my first choice of a way to recover it. As a bonus I was rewarded with a bunch of snagged lures I recovered in the process.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2017 02:01AM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Brian Cunningham (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 24, 2017 01:49PM

I hadn't even considered looking for it or trying to drag for it. The water where I was standing was only about knee deep, but like I said it's a major tail water with fast moving currents and fairly low visibility (not to mention daily dam releases over the past two weeks since it happened). Having said that, I'll probably give it a shot next time I fish this spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2017 05:23PM by Brian Cunningham.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2017 10:46PM

I don't know how it was possible to lose the tip section if line was through the guides. Didn't the fly get stuck in the guides??
Herb

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2017 11:07PM

I don't know how it was possible to lose the tip section if line was through the guides. Didn't the fly get stuck in the guides??
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2017 11:59PM

Herb, did you read his post above?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster