I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

low build vs high build
Posted by: Robert Wood (162.252.129.---)
Date: October 23, 2017 10:17AM

I am still fairly new to building so I am wondering what you guys prefer for your finish? low or high build? I have been using the ProKote low but was thinking about trying the high build

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: low build vs high build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2017 10:19AM

High Build can be applied thinly or more thickly in a single coat. Low or Lite build formulas cannot be applied thickly in a single coat. If you want more build depth with the lite versions you have to apply multiple coats.

Date: October 23, 2017 10:24AM

Thanks Tom
Is it worth having both around the shop? or just do the multiple coats with the light?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2017 11:28AM

I only use the high build because it will do everything, thin to thick. You may have to try both and see if you want both, or find that one or the other is more to your liking.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.emfme.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 11:31AM

Hi Robert,

I'm sure you'll get a few responses.

I personally like to keep the number of finish coats I have to put on, down to a minimum. Since high build finishes are versatile, I don't use lite finishes. No reason to create extra work for myself, and each time you put a coat of finish on, you have the potential for new finish issues.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 11:40AM

High build is all I now use. Over the years I have used may different brands in both lite and high build. Keep coming back to high build, it work for me.
Norm

Date: October 23, 2017 11:42AM

ok what about using the high build for doing some marbling?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 12:28PM

I use Threadmaster high and keep the Lite on hand for any touch-ups needed.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.emfme.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 12:43PM

Robert,

High build works great for marbling. I use ThreadMaster.

Chris

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 12:45PM

The medium viscosity ProKote has a generous open time well in excess of 30 minutes and quickly releases bubbles without heat. Downsides are the turning and cure time is extended, and it rarely covers well with a single application and some wraps can require 3 coats.

The ProKote high build flavor's open time is not so generous and might require just a touch of heat to deal with bubbles. Single coat application is possible provided any thin or dry areas are dealt with promptly.

Bottom line is both are good, neither are perfect, and the best results are obtained using the brand and viscosity in which you have the most confidence.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 01:32PM

as Tom said high build covers it all thick or thin it is in how you choose to apply it.
for quick customer repairs I use rod dancer thread master one, luma seal or perma gloss perma gloss and luma seal are harsh chemical based the thread master one is water based these 3 have short cure times and can be applied in thin coats I recommend that you turn the rod while applying any of them and at least an hour turning after application. these are easier than using epoxy for a single repair wrap.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 01:49PM

I also agree with Tom and yes high build will work for marbling.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 08:21PM

forgot to add if you buy small amounts of epoxy finish you won't have to many issues with it crystallizing and having to heat and re heat every time you need to mix finish if your like some of us your always ordering something so there isn't a need for large amounts of finish

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2017 08:44PM

I have found that Threadmaster crystallizes less than other brands of epoxy. I have three brands of finish in my shop right now, both Flexcoat and ProKote have crystallized but the Threadmaster has not. Same storage conditions for all three.
Norm

Posted by: Logan Wolfe (---.gci.net)
Date: December 27, 2017 01:11AM

Living in Alaska I have to deal with cold temps in my shop almost daily so high build is a no go for me. The viscosity is just to thick and the low build applies better for me. It’s all very situational dependent IMO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster