I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Plate reel seat on carbon fiber?
Posted by: Craig Clements (47.197.110.---)
Date: October 21, 2017 08:12PM

Hello,

I want to use a plate reel seat on a saltwater Rod. I'm wondering if I do the carbon skinned foam for the underlying handle if it would have enough long term stability\durability or if I need to just go with the hard carbon tubes like the texalinium types?

Thanks,

Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plate reel seat on carbon fiber?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2017 10:49PM

Hard carbon tubes would be my choice.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2017 11:29PM

Craig,
The CFX type grips you see in the Mudhole catalog, can take a 130 lb. lady standing on them with no ill effects, I have one here she has tested for customers at least a half dozen times wil no noticable damage to the grip. I didn't think of this test, the guys who build them for Mudhole did the test and the gentleman who stepped on it was much closer to 160.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2017 11:42PM

Craig,
The CFX type grips you see in the Mudhole catalog, can take a 130 lb. lady standing on them with no ill effects, I have one here she has tested for customers at least a half dozen times with no noticable damage to the grip. I didn't think of this test, the guys who build them for Mudhole did the test and the gentleman who stepped on it was much closer to 160.
I have no idea what kind of rod you want to build, but these grips are pretty tough and have held up to seasons of use on salmon rods in rod holders.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2017 10:00PM

I have my surf rods plate seats wrapped on carbon fiber hard tubes but with that said I don’t think wrapping them on a high density foam would be an issue. I have seen people wrap them on top of cork tape.

Posted by: Craig Clements (172.58.175.---)
Date: October 23, 2017 11:19AM

Thank you guys!

Do you think I should put on en extra coat over the carbon fiber or is the strength in the fiber not the epoxy?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster