I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are Graphite Guides Available?
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2017 01:32PM

I was wondering if the graphite guides are available to the custom builder or is that a Diawa exclusive?

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are Graphite Guides Available?
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 15, 2017 06:43PM

I believe they are most exclusive. I can't verify this however. By the way the rods that sport these guides start at around $529.00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2017 07:19PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 15, 2017 07:29PM

Graphite rates from 0.5 - 1 on moh's hardness scale - not much harder than soapstone - and guides are made of graphite?

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 15, 2017 07:50PM

The frames are made of graphite.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 15, 2017 11:45PM

Graphite and carbon fiber are different. Graphite is what is in a pencil lead, carbon fiber is what today's rods are made from, the term graphite is used incorrectly!

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2017 08:57AM

And if the carbon fiber is made using graphite?

Date: October 16, 2017 11:52AM

Lynn,

I just saw a spinning rod, (with the graphic guides), priced at $279.99 to $289.99 on another web site.

Here is the description from the site:

Finely tuned to the specifications of Daiwa’s Elite Series pro-staffers, the Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS Spinning Rods are the result of an intense three-year project that was aimed at satisfying the requirements of tournament anglers. Delivering unmatched sensitivity that you can feel in the palm of your hand, the Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS Spinning Rods are fitted with AGS (Air Guide System) carbon fiber guides, which are 20-40% lighter than standard guides.

Don Campbell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2017 11:57AM by Donald R Campbell.

Date: October 16, 2017 11:53AM

Phil,

My bad, I should have said Carbon Fiber. Thanks for the education.

Don Campbell

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 16, 2017 12:49PM

Graphite is sometimes rarely added to carbon fibers, but below is the edification of carbon fiber sources.

"About 90% of the carbon fibers produced are made from polyacrylonitrile (PAN). The remaining 10% are made from rayon or petroleum pitch. All of these materials are organic polymers, characterized by long strings of molecules bound together by carbon atoms."

Date: October 16, 2017 02:08PM

Thanks for the info Donald. The only rods I'd seen up until now with those guides were in the Steez lineup. Forgot they were called AGS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2017 02:11PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: October 16, 2017 02:38PM

The chief selling points of these graphite guides are apparently "sensitivity" and "feeling", neither one of which can be measured or documented, while the price of these guides is easily documented.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2017 03:50PM

x10 on Phil's comments.

I suspect that the major reason for these guides is to put more money into the pockets of the component and rod suppliers. Doubt that any user of the rod using the rod made up with these graphite guides or any other high quality metal framed guide with similar ring material.

Good luck

Date: October 16, 2017 03:59PM

"Sensitivity and Feeling" belong in a lonely hearts website, not a fishing website.

Date: October 16, 2017 04:24PM

Come now boys, with that outlook we'd all be fishing with tree branches! Just kidding.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2017 06:47PM

No rust should be the first selling point.

Wonder about impact durability though?

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2017 08:23PM

A friend received a rod as gift from a client with those guides a couple years ago. The rod was purchased in Japan while on a fishing/business trip. It's a 10' light surf rod and pretty sweet. The first thing I said was "hope you can get replacement guides". They are impressive but look easy to break. I started a thread asking for info about purchasing on this site, with no luck. I also did some research and came up empty.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2017 08:27PM

Just found my old post. Search "ags guide system"

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2017 08:57PM

Frames are titanium outer with carbon fiber inner.

$96 for one 30 mm K style guide.Even if I had $$ to blow I couldn’t .

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2017 08:23AM

Unlike Lynn, I'm not kidding when I say (considering comments in past threads) that I am surprised by a couple of the comments, and not surprised by a couple of the others.

The words sensitivity and feeling most certainly do belong in conversations about fishing rods. The sensitivity of a fishing rod, its ability to transmit vibrations from one end to the other, most certainly can be measured, and I suspect quite easily. Just because the results of such testing hasn't been published, doesn't mean that it hasn't been, or can't be done.

And while "feel" is a subjective word, it doesn't mean that it has no place in the building and use of a fishing rod. Nor does it mean that it can't be measured. Quite the contrary ..... feel is is everything when it comes to fishing. How a rod feels in your hand. How a rod feels when casting. Etc ..... The feel of a fishing rod is measured each and every time you use it. Every cast, every retrieve, every fought fish ........ Can you put on number on "feel"? Not really. But that doesn't mean you can't put a value on it.

As far as other comments go ..... I have read and participated in many threads where the emphasis on building the lightest rod possible, especially when it comes to the guide train, has been given the utmost consideration. Given what I've learned in the short time I've been building rods, I can certainly understand that. In fact, IMO the guide train is the life blood of a fishing rod. Just as if not even more important than the blank the rod is built on. How can a product that offers weight saving in the guide train, something that by all accounts will improve the performance of a fishing rod, for some reason be simply marketing hype?

At one time nylon mono filament fishing line was considered marketing hype. As was graphite being used to make fishing rods. As were micro guides. Just because someone personally doesn't find a use for something, doesn't mean it's simply marketing hype.

The debate, if there is one, comes down to cost effectiveness. Can an angler perceive the performance difference between the weights of different components? Can they "feel" it? Can they justify the cost? Some can, some can't..Just think ..... there are many people that find the cost of a custom built fishing rod unjustifiable. If that were the case for everyone, some of the members of this site would be out of a job.

Date: October 17, 2017 09:38AM

I agree the transmission of vibrations and pressure through a rod blank can and could be measured. If a rod blank manufacturer had objective information which revealed the superiority of its product why would the seller neglect to advertise this information? I am confident the average angler is more than intelligent enough to understand facts like these.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster