I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Printers
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: October 14, 2017 11:48AM

What later printers does everybody use for decorative labels?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Printers
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 14, 2017 11:59AM

I use Decal Connection for most of my labels. The few I do myself, I use an HP Pro 8100.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 14, 2017 12:14PM

Custom Labeling System to the left in the sponsor column.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 14, 2017 12:40PM

I sometimes use a Canon Pixma MG4220, but I try to avoid making my own with it due to the problem of fading. The old 5 ink Canon I used to have made decals that were quite fade resistant, but not this one. As far as I know there is no way to know for sure that any home printer will produce satisfactory decals.

I just ordered a sheet of decals from Decal Connection and the process was very easy. The people at DC were expert, pleasant, and very helpful. For standard decals I recommend having them professionally done, and when you get a sheet of them, the cost is not bad.

For custom decals I will keep trying the home printer, but will try to restrict colors to the ones I've found most resistant to fading, black, green, and red. Gray seems to be the worse, fading fairly quickly to green. I've done blue, but that fades pretty fast too.

If you are doing your own decals at home, don't leave the rod in holders on the boat without having a good sleeve over the decal areas.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2017 03:10PM

X2 tom. Custom labeling system to the left. Larry is great to work with and the label printer works perfectly. Great product.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2017 05:59PM

An MD-1000 and a Pearl 270 but I don't think I fired up any one of them in over a year. No one ever asks about having a name or graphics on rods anymore The fad must be over. They all want stealth performance with cutting edge materials. Guide wraps most often requested were lime green. Have no machines, Decal Connection will save you money in the long run.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 06:05PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: October 14, 2017 08:10PM

I need one off decals for theme rods that can't always be found small enough.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2017 09:22AM

For the past two years I have used the K Sun Pearl 270 from Larry Tobin at Custom Labeling on the left. It is very easy to use and makes beautiful decals. With the hundreds of decals that i have made it has paid for itself over and over again.

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 15, 2017 10:07AM

Larry Tobin from custom labeling

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2017 02:13PM

Hi Mike,

Larry Tobin, from Custom Labeling system. If you want to see samples of what our printer can do, let me know and I can mail you a few samples. You can see my printer and pricing on our web page, www.lrtgroup.com. Also you can call us 7 days a week, from 9AM to 10PM EST.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2017 10:11AM

If it is only lettering, you can try to use dry transfer lettering to make your own.

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2017 07:19PM

This labeling system allows you to use any font from your computer & allows you to import graphics, both on the same label. Approx cost for a 2" long label is about .12¢ - .15¢. If you send me your address, I can send you samples from this unit.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster