I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide finish
Posted by: Tony Krembs (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2017 09:42AM

I have noticed that when applying finish to guide wraps that it often "bleeds" into the threads along the edge of the guides. this causes the color of the thread to appear darker. The thread is non-color fast that i have applied color preservative at least 3 times.
I would very much appreciate any cures for this problem. thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide finish
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 13, 2017 12:13PM

Don't know why, but it seems to be a rule that spar and epoxy will find every single wrap area not thoroughly sealed by CP.

Just got to thoroughly seal the wrap edges and the thread "tents" on either side of the guide feet. It's not a number of applications thing; it's all about sealing things up.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: October 13, 2017 04:03PM

I had the same thing happen. I was in a rush to get a rod done and the CP didnt fully cover the threads. Looks funky but still functions fine.

Posted by: Tony Krembs (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2017 04:48PM

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I wish there was a definitive answer though. I am sure the threads (Madeira) were well saturated with color preservative after 3 coats. The guide is placed on an underwrap that I don't treat with CP, but I can't think that would have anything to do with the top wrap along the "tents". Thanks again.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 13, 2017 07:09PM

Underwraps? Underwraps not sealed? Suspect you answered your question.

Do a test wrap and seal the underwrap with three coats of CP before wrapping on the guide. Then three more coats of CP before applying finish. I'll wager tomorrow's lunch money the results will be much better.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 13, 2017 11:12PM

One way to get CP into the "tents" is to do them first and apply the CP liberally off the brush into the open "door" of the tent at the guide foot, and watch it disappear. If it disappears, add a little more until it doesn't go in any more. Then do the rest of the wrap. I leave the wrap alone while I clean the brush, then go back with a paper towel and blot off any excess. I use two coats. I'm not sure that there is any advantage to a third. Some contend that only one, properly applied, is adequate.

Was the underwrap a darker color than the overwrap? If so, it may be that the overwrap was not packed tightly. I'm not sure how to tightly pack an overwrap. . Seems like it would get stuck on the underwrap and the only way to avoid the tiny gaps would be to wrap it very tightly to begin with. I think you are supposed to wrap the overwrap in the opposite direction than the direction of the underwrap so the overwrap doesn't try to drop in between the threads of the underwrap. Are you sure you need underwraps?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster