I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone inlay question
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2017 11:18PM

I've read nearly every post and watched several videos about abalone inlays, and am ready to take a give one a try. I'm going to put this under a Fuji NS7 reel plate to help hide any first timer flaws I'm sure to have, but I have a question. After removing the sacrificial thread used to hold things in place after cooling, should I secure (wrap) the ends prior to applying a coat of epoxy over the abalone, or will I be okay to apply the epoxy over the abalone, wrap the reel seat, then epoxy the wraps?
Thanks in advance for any input!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone inlay question
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 13, 2017 12:57PM

Sounds like you have the thick abalone. Wait till it's set and check it for any "pops" or hard edges. Might be better to get a thin coat of finish on it first to make it easier for your thread to walk up and down.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2017 07:17PM

Having used a bunch of abalone, I find that if I wrap my sacrificial thread tight, the edges blend, and any small cracks get pulled tight to the adhesive and also blend in.

I don't think you will need to coat the abalone if your sacrificial wrap is good and snug and let it sit until the shell has cooled well.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2017 08:10PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

As above Abalone rolled on Blank the then coated with a layer of Epoxy, Then mounted the seat and Coated the Wraps

(photo was before Epoxy)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 01:05AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.sub-174-194-35.myvzw.com)
Date: October 17, 2017 06:38AM

After you put the abalone on the rod , I use a flat cord to wrap tight around the abalone, put some heat on it then remove, any marks will disappear with a coat of epoxy. I like to put a few wraps of A thread in front(not on the abalone) the abalone will stay put and yes I find it easier to put one coat if epoxy on, then wrap. Also note that some glue may push out use a toothpick to remove this be for you epoxy. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster