I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip top sizing for snake guides
Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.sub-174-214-14.myvzw.com)
Date: October 12, 2017 08:31PM

I haven’t run into this situation before on lighter weight fly rod builds and hoping to get some advice.

I have an 8wt fly rod blank and I’m trying out REC snake guides for the first time with the smallest guides being size 2. I have some snake brand tip tops but find that the standard loop tip top is smaller than the snake guides. It the large loop tip top is much larger than the snake guides. It seems to me that the tip top should be very close in size to the last snake guides. Should I use larger snake guides and a large loop tip top? Does anyone make a tip top that’s sized somewhere between Snake Brand’s standard and large sizes? It seems to me that my line and connections will all pass easily through the size 2 snakes and a standard tip top but would a large loop tip be better?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip top sizing for snake guides
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 12, 2017 11:01PM

No hard and fast rules here other than line to leader knot ought to easily pass through guides and tip top when rigging and line to backing knot ought to also easily pass all guides and tip top.

For an 8 weight I'd use the large loop tip top and not worry about its relative size to a size 2 snake.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2017 06:26AM

X2 Donald.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 13, 2017 11:56AM

A loop in your fly line either gets tightened into a knot or pulled apart when it passes through the tip-top. A larger tip-top (within reason) is more likely to pull the loop apart. I fully agree with Donald and Michael.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 13, 2017 12:44PM

X4 use a slightly larger tip top, it helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster