I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marbling
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.9.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 12, 2017 07:29AM

I did my first attempt at marbling. I like the looks of the color scheme but have a problem with it drying. After 24 hours it is still tacky. What is the likely culprit and what can be done with it? Do I have to remove it and reapply or is there something a little less daunting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marbling
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2017 08:05AM

Adding pigments to epoxy can affect them. One of the ways they're affected is that the cure time is often increased. Give it a couple more days and then see how things are progressing.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-216-25.myvzw.com)
Date: October 12, 2017 11:46AM

Mark,

Like Tom said, more time could solve your issue. You may also try increasing the temp of the room your rod is drying in.

For your next marbling project, try giving Jacquard's Pearl-Ex dry pigments a try. They do not change the properties of the epoxy, and in my opinion look better than most paint pigments: they have a metallic sheen.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 12, 2017 04:02PM

Also when you do it next time stir/mix resin thoroughly then add pigment and stir again. Most curing problems are due to the fact that they are not mixed up enough. When I have done it in the past the pigment I used was powder and Testers along with the mud additive that keeps the colors separated and it dried faster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster