I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide sizes for spiral wrap
Posted by: Zach Moore (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: October 11, 2017 06:26PM

Hey everyone, I know there are a ton of threads on here on spiral wrapping. And I have read many of them describing the different spiral wrapping methods and techniques, but still have some questions on guide sizing. I am building an 8' xh saltwater rod that the blueprint states the guides to be used are 25,20,16,12,10,10,10,10,10. However I am not sure if I would need to change the guide sizes for doing a spiral wrapped rod. Since it is my first time attempting a spiral wrap I am just trying the simple spiral method. From other threads I have read that you want a larger stripper guide still to keep the line up higher but then typically go to a smaller guide than normal for the 90 degree guide to keep the line closer to the blank. And then I have also read that many people say to adjust the stripper guide around 5 degrees to allow more even spooling of the line on the reel, but I have read both that it is better to go 5 degrees away from the spiral and that it is better to go 5 degrees towards the spiral. Any input on guide sizing and adjustment would be much appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide sizes for spiral wrap
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 11, 2017 07:27PM

You are on the right track. You have a lot of good info. I start with a 20 and go to 10's to the tip. Lots of ways to do a spiral so take in all the info builders give you and do what makes the most sense to you. Always static test before wrapping. Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2017 11:42PM

There isn't much reason to use so many different sizes. Most likely you can go from the 25 (seems very large) to the 12 or 10's.

One question, is this actually a casting rod spiral or a spinning rod with New Guide Concept type system? The guide sizes seem very odd for a casting rod.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 12, 2017 03:51AM

Take a look the american tackle Microwave Guides, They are known to be great for a spiral wraps, Look at how Fast they choke the line down, And yes you have to large, And to many sizes in your build that are Not needed for a casting rod. Just my 2 cents. --

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 12, 2017 08:04AM

After reading responses I realize I left out that my guide recommendation is for a saltwater bottom fishing or jigging rod, I'm not casting. I use the 10's to allow line to leader knots to pass easily. You need to take line a leader connections into consideration. If that's not an issue you can use 8's as runners.

Date: October 12, 2017 12:29PM

This will be a casting rod, the sizes I included in the original post is what the blank manufacturer recommends for the rod. Honestly this will be the first rod I ever build, and I figured I could probably cut out a lot of the various sizes for the spiral wrap. I was thinking a 20 for the stripper and 10's for the running guides and tip top as stated for leader knots, I guess the two guides that I was most uncertain on would be the 90 degree guide since I'm doing a simple spiral and the first 180 degree guide. I figured I could probably just use another 10 for the 90 degree as that guide seems to just need to keep the line off the blank, but I didn't know if I needed a little bit large guide for the first 180 guide or if I could use a 10 again.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2017 01:59PM

Unless you're using a fairly large reel the 20 seems a bit large for your butt guide. You can gauge the size for the 90 degree bump guide after setting up all the rest. Most likely it doesn't need to be very large and should be low to the blank. The under-rod guides on the 180 axis can all be the same size.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2017 05:25PM

A 20 butt guide is what I would typically use on heavy trolling rods. I'm not sure what size line/reel you're planning on, but a 20 seems large...maybe?

But as stated...use the butt guide & then size directly down to your running guides...no need for various sizes.

Simple spiral works great.

Date: October 12, 2017 05:44PM

Thanks for all the input everyone! I don't know if it makes a huge difference on the size of the stripper guide between 20 and 16, but the reel I will be using will be a penn squall 30LW.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2017 07:50AM

I think in your case you'll want to size the butt guide with enough height to keep the line off your grip. With the level wind you shouldn't have to worry too much about lateral line movement on the cast.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 13, 2017 12:54PM

The Fuji K series RV guide in 16mm may be perfect for this application as far as height goes. It should be heavy duty enough and would make a great but guide for a simple spiral.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster