I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Another guide spacing thread *sorry*
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 14, 2017 03:12PM

Using the reel spool upsweep angle has always been problematic and will nearly always put the choke guide out further than it needs to be, particularly with braided line. Did you try the 27X factor for locating the choke guide? It won't be too close and may even be a bit far for braid, but it'll work great with almost anything.

The choker guide and the running guides should all be the same size. In effect, the first running guide is the choke guide. Put that in the equation and see if it changes anything for you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 14, 2017 03:46PM

The 8 would be almost the same distance as the 30 and 25. No way to do that in the 4 guide reduction train. I was hoping you could address your thoughts on using a 3 guide reduction train. That may be my best bet, but contrary to what your book says.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 14, 2017 06:44PM

Try a three guide reduction train of KW30, 25, and 16 (or 12M). This should give you a good reduction train based on guide heights. Runners can all be size 8. For a 6000 reel you can push the stripper a further out from the spool tip (22” to 25”), maybe even a little further, if needed. This will put the choke guide at somewhere around 45” - 52” from spool tip. Space the two reduction guides accordingly between the stripper and choke guide. Then place your running guides by static testing using the two line method. When you thread your line through the guides attach a small weight to the line and let it hang. When you press the line against the bottom of the reel spool you want to see a straight line from the bottom of the spool to the bottom of the choke guide, and another straight line from the choke guide to the tip top, with the line touching the bottom of each guide. A little bit on an angle going into the stripper is OK. Take it out and test cast it and tweak if needed. [anglersresource.net]
Norm

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: October 14, 2017 08:14PM

Damn I wish you'd have chimed in a bit earlier Norm. I already had the deco wrap in place and CPed for 21.5 inches! I guess I could move the guide off the deco wrap...

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 14, 2017 11:12PM

There is quite a bit of wiggle room when setting up a guide layout, and the use of braid is very forgiving and gives you a much more flreedom than mono. You will have a little more of an angle going into the stripper at 21.5”” just check to see if it may be too steep an angle. The further out you push the stripper the straighter the line will be coming from the bottom of the spool. The bigger the reel the further out you need to push the strippper, and if pushed much beyond 26” might be better to go with a higher framed guide. In my opinion the choke pt is not written in stone, but rather quite flexible and can be moved in or out somewhat to make things work. You just want to have a nice smooth curve when the rod is flexed under stressed. I think you will be just fine with what I outlined above. Do not try to over think these things, it is rather straight forward.
Norm

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster