I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing bad finish job
Posted by: Brad Reed (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 08, 2017 08:52PM

Hey All,

I was looking over the very first rod I built and I noticed the finish is very uneven. Some places the finish is too thin and in others it is wavy. It's a great rod so I would like to fix this, but I don't really know how.

I have read that if I rough up the epoxy on the rod, new finish can be applied over it. Anyone have experience with this? If I am able to place new epoxy over the old finish this will cure almost all of the defects.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing bad finish job
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 08, 2017 09:11PM

Using sandpaper on a block to try to take the tops off the waves, sand the area to try to even it out. Use something like 220 grit. Don't try to take too much off; the worst thing you can do is sand through and get into the decal/thread/rod blank. It might take a couple cycles of sand then finish again. Make sure you apply the finish using strokes longitudinal with respect to the axis of the blank, and don't apply too much. You want to cover it, but don't flood it. . Don't apply heat-whenever I have, it caused an uneven finish. Others may have a better idea, but that is what I would do. It can be fixed.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (104.140.17.---)
Date: October 08, 2017 09:55PM

There is nothing wrong with sanding down your finish just to get a good look I do it on both my decritive wraps and my guides and I have never had a problem just make sure that all is dry first.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (104.140.17.---)
Date: October 08, 2017 10:47PM

You have nothing to lose but more to gain.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2017 01:21AM

Brad,
Yes, you can sand and possibly level the finish - if that is what you really want.

But, every time that I have looked over a rod that I am unhappy with - whether it is mine or someone else's, I generally find that it is easier and faster for myself, to use my heat gun and apply a bit of gentle heat to the guide wraps and then use a razor blade cutting on the side of the rod foot to slice through the thread wraps.

Take another few minutes to clean up the rest of the finish and then re wrap and refinish the thread wrap.

I have found that about 1/2 the time when sanding the finish on a thread wrap - that I hit a thread with the sand paper and have to cut the guide off anyway. So, I just save myself the trouble - quickly cut off the guide, clean the blank and rewrap the guide on the blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: October 09, 2017 01:18PM

It depends on if you're talking about guide wraps. It's to easy to sand down to thread on the guide foot. Deco wraps are a different story. There shouldn't be any high spots, and I have done that successfully.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-208.myvzw.com)
Date: October 10, 2017 04:41PM

I remember my first rod. I celebrate its many imperfections.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 10, 2017 07:02PM

John Cates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember my first rod. I celebrate its many
> imperfections.
It's like a wedding, if something goes wrong (and it will) you will have something to tell your grandchildren about.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2017 09:02PM

Brad,
After building for a few years, I looked over the rods that I still had in my possession .

When I found a rod that was not up to my then - standards- I took the rod, stripped the guides and rewrapped and refinished the guides. In some cases, I also took the opportunity to switch to a different guide set.

No reason not to have perfect rods, so I made it happen.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster