I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6" Butt trim effect on action (Slower)
Posted by: Craig Clements (172.56.27.---)
Date: October 06, 2017 10:41AM

Hello,

I'm looking to add a slightly shorter rod for punching mats here in Florida. I'm looking at the NFC IM MB795. I'd like to try trimming 6"off the butt to make it 7' 3". I know this will give it slightly less power, and make it slower. It's listed as recommended for a flipping blank, yet is listed as fast. I'm wondering if the trim will make it more of a mod fast? Or is it not that fast to begin with? Is anyone familar with this blank? I emailed NFC, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks,

Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6" Butt trim effect on action (Slower)
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2017 11:06AM

It will become slower by a bit. As far as how fast is fast, or what constitutes moderate-fast, these are all subjective to a large degree. Unless you use something like the CCS Action Angle measurement, you can't really put a definitive number on it. But yes, it will make the blank's action a bit slower. I doubt the change will be overwhelming, but it will be slower.

Date: October 06, 2017 11:41AM

Thank You. Well then, does anyone have the numbers in this blank, as well as a couple of more parabolic flipping blanks?

Thanks Again,

Craig

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2017 02:08PM

Craig,
Really easy to check.
Rather than holding the blank by the normal reel seat location with a full length butt, move your hand 6 inches forward and check its action.
Good luck

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 06, 2017 03:32PM

why not use this one IM-MB795-1 and take 3 off the butt and there won't be any change in the power and it will handle the job for you with ease

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: October 06, 2017 04:05PM

Thanks Matthew that's the blank I was asking about above... I'm just worrying about it being too fast for punching,. Some manufacturers seem to label everything as fast, but blanks built for some things are reported to be actually more moderate. I was hoping this blank was more moderate, and/or since I was taking half a foot off it would become so.

Another way to look at it is Im wondering:

A) impressions of the blank

And

B) whether trimming 6" would make it noticibly slower or just "technically" slower.

Thanks Again,

Craig

Date: October 06, 2017 05:11PM

Ok my mistake got it right now you want it to be 7' 3 does it have to be exactly 7'3" if you could live with 7'6" there wouldn't be any change other than you cut off 3 inches.
and one thing you could consider then is to cut 2 off the butt and 1 off the tip and wouldn't loose any thing in the power or action.
this is something I have done for some of the Muskie builds I have done for the guys that throw the 8 -24 ounce plastic swim baits, different fish but same principle.
so many want to cut a blank but always only look to cut the butt section and that works but some times you can take of 1-2 inches from the tip and make it a bit more stiff and not affect the power.
I did 2 for a customer that wanted 2 different lengths but the same amount of power so I loaded them up in the tester side by side with reel seats taped in place marked the center sweet spot and added equal amount of weight to each and used the 2 line method of load testing 1 had a fixed tip top on I used a ring and tape on the other to move the weight back from the tip and slid it back in the tester 3 inches and re positioned the reel seat 3 inches forward then began to move the tip ring back to the butt and the sweet spot changed by 1 1/4 inches at 3 inches back from the original tip. as power remained equal on both rods one was just 6 inches shorter.
Was more time spent yes but got the result that was wanted equal power in different lengths.
alot of times everyone gets all crazy when you say take some off the tip but if you invest the time and do it right it doesn't change a blank to where there is a change that is an extreme as some think it will be.
learned this from one of my mentors Wally Mineburge back in the early 70's
I if you not in a rush to do the build you might want to try doing this method and see what you get and where the sweet spot moves to ,and see if it changes the power to any amount of notability.
you have to remember that a 7' and a 7'6" blank can have the exact same power but the length changes where the sweet spot resides it will be lower on the 7' blank and higher on the 7'6" blank.
Hope this makes sense to you and working your build.

Wi.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 06, 2017 06:08PM

Over thinking alert!

I have never found that anything taken off the tip of a blank improved it. I've mostly encountered this from breaking off the tips in a few different ways, and always, I disliked the resulting blank. If you want to shorten a blank, take it off the butt.
I know, not objective data. But neither is "sweet spot." IMHO

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2017 07:04PM

Cutting a blank, from either or both ends, will always result in a slower action.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 06, 2017 07:57PM

thanks Michael..baseball bats have a sweet spot but i don,t use my rods to swat the lure over the water. lol.

Date: October 06, 2017 08:50PM

have any of the naysayers tried it ?? and Ben add something other than raspberries please

Wi.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2017 04:26PM

I'd have to agree with Michael about taking length off the tip. Through the same process of breaking a couple of tips over the years, I have found a noticeable change in the sensitivity of the rod.

On one of the rods, thinking perhaps the guide spacing at the tip being so far off was somehow affecting the sensitivity, I stripped and re wrapped the guides with proper spacing and it still felt less sensitive than I remember. Dang shame too, because I loved that rod.
I put the rod to good use though as Its blank is now doing duty as two of my reamers. I wouldn't cut the tip.

As far as taking the 6" off the butt ...... I have done that twice to change the power and action of the blank to what I was looking for. In both cases they were much lighter powered blanks than the one you're mentioning. As I never fished the blanks before trimming them I can't say how much power I lost or how much slower the actions of the blanks were versus them at their full length. I can only comment on how they felt and looked while flexing them. It changed the perceived power quite a bit on these particular blanks. And it visually slowed their actions.

But as I said, they were much lighter powered blanks than the one you're mentioning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 04:29PM by David Baylor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster