I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hardloy guides
Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.sub-174-193-144.myvzw.com)
Date: October 03, 2017 12:01PM

I had a rod come into my shop with Fuji hardloy guides. I need a 12mm bright frame spinning guide does anyone have any if these in stock or know where I mite find some? Thanks Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hardloy guides
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2017 02:29PM

Double or single foot? If single, V or Y frame?
Norm

Date: October 03, 2017 03:47PM

Single foot V frame

Date: October 03, 2017 03:51PM

Single foot V frame

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2017 04:05PM

Chris,
A simple thing to do, would be to strip all of the guides and tip top and replace with a new set.

Over the years, I have done that with a lot of rods which have come in with an older set of guides needing replacement of just one or two. After checking with the client, I will get the go ahead and just redo all of the rods. Normally, to strip and replace a set of guides is generally only an hour or so, so not a big deal, as long as the client is paying for your time.

Take care

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 04:07PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 03, 2017 04:18PM

hi Roger..is your clock really, really slow or maybe mine is really, really fast. lol.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2017 05:56PM

Maybe Bingham Ent. to the left.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2017 07:35PM

Ben,
Are you referring to the time to strip guides, clean up the blank tape on new guides and coat them?

10 minutes to strip the guides. 5 minutes to clean up the rod. 5 minutes to tape on the new guides. 20 minutes to wrap the guides, 10 minutes for each coat of finish that you want to apply to the guides.

I am not speaking of putting any trim wraps on the guides, just a simple one color wrap.

Of course, if you want to spend 10-20 hours on the job, you can certainly do that as well.

I work on rods in a production environment, where the number of guides on the rod is equal to xxx times the number of guides and that equals the pay check.

I think that if you look at the videos of factory rod builds, I expect that these times are somewhat similar to their times. After a person has built many many rods, it is reasonable to build rods at this rate. A lot of low production rod builders prefer to take a lot of time on a rod, and that works well also. It is just up to the builder to build in his/her own manner.

Take care

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2017 08:12PM

I suspect that somebody will have one of those guides. Always good to get a larger job if you can, but many customers won't go the extra dollar. You do what you can to make them happy.

Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 03, 2017 08:38PM

Looks like a Bingham has what I need. Yes the man don't want to put a lot in the rod. I thank you all. I will say this. Roger there is no way I can build that fast.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2017 08:41PM

I erased what I just posted; happy that you found what you wanted. Good luck!
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster