I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

peeling from a blank
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.republic.ip.cablemo.net)
Date: October 02, 2017 07:22PM

I use masking tape when I spline a blank and the tape removed the paint. I'm guessing that matching the paint is going to be difficult at best to match so is there any sort of solvent to strip off the paint and go with the dark gray of the shaft. I thought about sanding the shaft but the risk of changing the action of the shaft seems high. Any suggestions

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: peeling from a blank
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 02, 2017 07:23PM

Citri- Strip

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 02, 2017 07:37PM

is it too big to cover with a guide wrap?

Date: October 02, 2017 08:06PM

No guide wrap in that location. Thanks for citri strip idea.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 02, 2017 08:26PM

If masking tape removed the paint it should be easy to remove the rest of the paint. I doubt that the paint would have lasted very long anyway. You can scrape the paint off using a single edge razor blade or utility knife blade held at 90 degrees to the blank. This will effectively and easily remove the paint without hurting the blank it self. I have not used Citri-Strip so I can not comment on it's effectiveness. To get rid of any residual paint I wet sand with 1000 - 2000 grit wet/dry paper, this does not harm the blank, it almost like buffing the blank. After cleaning the blank you can give it a clear coat using Permagloss. Do a search of this site on how to apply Permagloss, there is a wealth of information here on how to do this. Removing paint from a blank will not hurt it's action and may in fact improve it.
Norm

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 03, 2017 06:00PM

Hello Robert.

Just for Giggles and Grins why not just tape the whole rod and peel the paint off.

Sorry I just could not resist.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 04, 2017 11:21AM

This forum needs a "like" box.

Date: October 04, 2017 12:03PM

I had masking tape on other parts of the rod and no paint came. I'll try scraping the paint off.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2017 01:20AM

Norman’s resolve would be difficult to surpass if the 90* blade angle is adhered to.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster