I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Horizontal thread
Posted by: Rick Provencher (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: October 02, 2017 05:37PM

Has any one ever put a horizontal thread down the length of the butt in between 2 decorative wraps. I was thinking of a 2 metallic threads, one on top of and the other under a logo decal. The horizontal threads would go under metallic thread on the decorative wraps so the ends would be hidden.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Horizontal thread
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.ff.avast.com)
Date: October 02, 2017 05:48PM

Hi Rick,

I tried it, but I was not able to keep the threads perfectly straight, and it bugged me.

If you are framing words on a label, you would have to line the threads up with them in some way...at least I would.

Let us know what you do, and share pics.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Rick Provencher (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: October 02, 2017 05:55PM

Thats what I am trying to do. I have a 1" gold metallic wrap on each side for a candy apple wrap. I will over wrap the gold metallic with Garnet thread and leave 3-4 threads of the gold showing on each end. So in theory I could hold the horizontal thread under at least 3/4" of the gold metallic to try and keep it tight. What problems did you encounter to not keep the thread straight?

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.ff.avast.com)
Date: October 03, 2017 01:10AM

Hi Rick,

I had the thread crossing about 6 inches of rod length, and I guess between the slight taper and the tension of the thread, I was not able to get the threads to stay parallel to my liking.

A shorter distance probably won't be much of an issue.

I think part of the problem, was that I was trying to hide the ends of the thread under short trim bands, and this wasn't enough to keep the threads tight.

But, I didn't spend too long worrying about it. When they didn't stay how I wanted them, I removed the threads and marbled the area.

Post pics, and let us know how yours turns out.

Chris

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: October 03, 2017 10:08AM

Lay the horizontal threads, Secure permanently or temporarily. Cover with colour preserver. This should lock the threads in place. Do trim wraps and decal.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 03, 2017 05:56PM

Hello Rick.

Chris Richer is right, when putting down your !" wrap stop at 3/4" and place your threads (about1" longer than you need) where they need to be and then wrap the last 1/4" over the threads.
Now tape the far end down tight with the thread where you need them, Now start your Second 1" wrap and when you have wrapped about 1/2" pull your horizontal threads tight and make sure they are still straight.
Secure with CP, covering up to 1/4" of your second 1" wrap, let the CP dry.
Once the CP is dry trim your Horizontal threads, and finish your !" wrap CP everything let dry and coat with epoxy.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2017 06:31PM

You may find the CP effects the tension on the threads, so keep your tag ends available to re tension if necessary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster