I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Non shine epoxy?
Posted by: Mike Beauchamp (---.as13285.net)
Date: October 01, 2017 05:43AM

I am building a rod and I want it to have zero glare on the epoxy.

Does anyone know of a method that will kill the shine in Regular or High build before application?
I will only be applying epoxy to the wraps.

Or is my only solution to scrub the finished surface with 600grade wet&dry abrasive paper?

Rod Spec; Harrison (Liverpool UK) 11ft two piece blank ground dull in the factory, 28" AAA cork handle, Rec Channel lock seat, Fuji Titanium tip and Minima 4 titanium guides (far superior quality to the stamped Min. 4s).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 05:45AM by Mike Beauchamp.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Non shine epoxy?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2017 10:16AM

Purchase an epoxy flattening agent from a supplier. Mix with the epoxy finish before application and you will be good to go.

For an easy to use agent, do some test wraps using different amounts of baby powder or bathing talc and see if you can get the effect that you wish.

Date: October 01, 2017 12:00PM

Wow, thank you.

Just adding something as easy as baby talc, I would never have thought of that.

I'll give it a try and let you all know the result/s.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2017 12:18PM

I got my flattening agent from a prior sponsor here, doesn't take much to do the job, gives a matt finish so your wraps are obscured also, I imagine talc would do the same.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 01, 2017 10:11PM

or you could just apply coat of semi gloss poly urethane from the home supply center and that would allow you to see the color of the wrappings with out the sheen

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: October 02, 2017 10:26AM

The thread finish gloss can also be dulled with super fine steel wool.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2017 09:05AM

Guys around the shop have achieved this by doing a secondary application with a matte varnish [www.mudhole.com] after first apply normal epoxy finish. This is also a great way to achieve the look on a rod that you've already finished.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: October 08, 2017 03:30PM

Thanks again guys.

I have tried the talc method and the result was extremely cloudy, gold (ish) almost yellow, not clear at all but amazigly it still had a shine.
Tried a very tiny dash of talc and the results were unimpressive, almost indistiquishable from the basic finish.

So Ive decided to go with regular 2 part epoxy then dull it down with fine abrasive wet&dry 800 grit rubbing paper which seems be to be easiest option, if that doesnt produce the desired result I will apply the matt poly varnish as advised above.

Thank you for all your advice.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2017 06:44AM

LMAO @ baby powder!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster