I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy good or bad
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 29, 2017 05:14PM

Is the Bullard Diamond finish really that much better.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy good or bad
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2017 05:38PM

Nope

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.a.net)
Date: September 29, 2017 09:35PM

The Bullard product sold back in the 1970'sand 80's was as good as you could get. What is sold under that name brand now is not the same thing. It's OK, but just another repackaged product from another epoxy company. Honestly you might as well just get with Flex Coat or Trondak and see which suits you better and stick with one of the other of those two. They cover the spectrum from end to end as far as I am concerned.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 29, 2017 09:56PM

You be the judge. Buy a kit, try it. While your at it get a kit of Pac-Bay epoxy. They might be the two best you ever used.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 09:08AM

When buying epoxy I look for ease of use, durability, setting time, and appearance. I have yet to find one brand which is superior in all these categories.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 12:37PM

I'm with Phil E on this. All the epoxies, varnishes (long oil), poly, urethanes, etc. have different properties, different advantages, and different disadvantages. It's not a good, better, best thing. It's simply a differentiation, ton of marketing, and personal preference thing.

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 02:38PM

I bounce back and forth between Flex Coat and DII. I feel that Flex Coat might be just a bit easier to apply (mixing, evening out, etc.) but DII seems clearer and doesn't seem to yellow as quickly as flex coat. I agree with Phil and Donald, plus I believe their are a whole bunch of variables that effect ease of use and outcome that make every build just a little different..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 05:13PM

Love it.

Posted by: Paul Collins (---.static.hvvc.us)
Date: September 30, 2017 06:35PM

Envirotex EX88 is the same thing. Most craft stores have it or you can get it online from amazon.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 06:48PM

To clarify my point, in my experience there is NO "better" rod wrap epoxy. I have used most brands and have settled upon Threadmaster (regular and lite) as I like the work ability and pot life. Some have variances in those important factors, but all will do the job! It ends up being a personal choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2017 11:21PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: September 30, 2017 08:35PM

Whatever, love it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2017 10:06PM

If you are having problems with an epoxy and think that by switching brands all will be well - that's highly unlikely. All are very similar in nearly every way. The differences will be in pot life, viscosity, etc. All epoxies level perfectly. If you're not getting that then take a look at your application technique.

Date: October 01, 2017 09:10PM

I'd like to thank the moderator for his input on this topic . Any finish demands practice to perfect a technique, and that's the best advice you can get!

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (104.140.17.---)
Date: October 08, 2017 10:46PM

Thanks you all the imput I have been debating about switching to this stuff for awhile as some people seem to like it better but from what I here on this form I think that I will just stay with what I use.

Thanks for all the imput.

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 12:12PM by Glenn McMurrian.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster