I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide weight vs. finish and wrap weight
Posted by: Miki Stenberg (---.bb.dnainternet.fi)
Date: September 28, 2017 04:16PM

Hello Gents,

My project of building two saltwater fly rods (#9 9'0"and #12 9'0") for myself continue.

I am still pondering between two running guide options after I received the guides I ordered. I chose Pacbay Minima M4 Titanium Tiblack in size 7 for the 9wt and Recoil RSNX Black Pearls in #5 for the #12 rod.
After weighing them out of interest I got 0.13grams for the #5 Recoils and 0.26grams for the M4 #7. As weight matters the most near the rod tip I started wondering how much the second wrap and finish of a snake guide actually add weight? Has anyone of you weighed this? I might be splitting hairs here and of course I can determine the difference of total weights including wraps and coatings for these two different guides myself but any help is highly appreciated.

Many thanks!

-Miki-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide weight vs. finish and wrap weight
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2017 04:36PM

Yes it does add weight. Enough to offset any additional guide weight from the other set? There's really only one way to know - you'd have to wrap up two sets, finish them, then cut the off and weigh them.

Of course you could also tape up a set of each and try them out. The slight difference in weight we're talking about might not be noticeable to you, or then again, it might be.

At any rate, keep your wraps as short as possible and use the lightest finish coat you can get by with. PermaGloss would be a good choice here. Even 3 coats of PG is apt to be lighter than 1 coat of even a light build epoxy. But again, we're talking very, very slight differences on these somewhat heavy power fly rods.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2017 06:18PM

you have a total of 39 grams that is equal to 0.09 of a pound I don't believe that it will be noticeable but I do agree with Tom 's statement for the finish to keep it as thin as possible either with perma gloss or luma seal both are a thin light solvent based urethane and will provide a nice as durable finish as epoxy finish but a bit lighter.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2017 06:54PM

As a builder of only fly rods, my preference is to always go with single foot guides. The choice of wire or minima makes very little difference. Ans as Tom states on rods of 9 & 12 wt. wraps weights are not likely to be noticed.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.a.net)
Date: September 29, 2017 09:36PM

The Minimas will be fine. Make sure to use security wraps on the back side of the ring though. You do not want a guide pulled out when pulling a rod out of a tube or rod box while you are on a once in a lifetime trip.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2017 11:16PM

Mike makes a very good point! Always use a locking wrap on single foot guides.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 01, 2017 09:47AM

Single-foot guides on big-fish rods are somewhat better than snake guides at casting but worse at fighting fish. Big fish can instantly snap leaders when the line is fouled or impeded in the guide train. The geometry of a snake guide gives it a maximum effective opening, and a loop in your line which catches on ring guide would slide off a snake guide.

Posted by: Miki Stenberg (---.bb.dnainternet.fi)
Date: October 02, 2017 03:12AM

Thank you gents for the help!

Just for the curiosity sake I think I'll weight the plain tip sections and guides going in, wrap them up and coat them and weight the complete tips. This should give me some idea of the added weight although the blanks obviously are different.

Cheers!

-Mikko-

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2017 01:18PM

Weight the tips first, and again after wrapping and finishing. That way you can accurately compare the final tally by removing the original tip weights.

Posted by: Miki Stenberg (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: October 03, 2017 05:04AM

Thanks Tom! Yes, that is the plan.

Cheers!

-Miki-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster