I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winn Overwrap Durability
Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: September 26, 2017 09:31AM

Hey guys,
I tried the search function here with no luck. I am considering putting the Winn overwrap tape on an upcoming build and was just curious how it has held up for anyone with experience using it. This build will be for throwing Pounder sized Bulldawgs and Husky Medussas. These are really large baits and get used well into December. The torque put on the grips from casting and the rip/pause retrieve is pretty extensive so these grips take a beating. Any chance these will hold up to this kind of abuse or are they simply not meant for this application?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn Overwrap Durability
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2017 09:49AM

Of course there is a very good chance that all well be well.

But, to be sure for you and your application; you need to try it and let us know your results.

Be safe

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2017 07:21PM

are you using cork handles ? or foam ?
yea they are big baits I my self and customers builds have never has any problems with just cork handles.
what I have done in the past with the foam handles was to take and crisscross the foam with butt cord glued to the foam and then shrink wrap it so there was a better ability to grip it in a fight with a big fish.
sliding the shrink wrap on was a bit of a chore you don't want the shrink to be to over size so it conforms to the cord and foam properly.
the tape is used by a lot of salty guys and don't knoe how it has held up for them maybe some of them will chime in

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 27, 2017 09:42AM

As Roger says, try it out and report back. Keep in mind that the wrap is not that expensive, is easy, and doesn't permanently change the rod under it. If it doesn't work, not much lost.

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: September 27, 2017 10:05AM

Thanks for the input fellas. I went ahead and ordered it to try on a personal rod first and see how it holds up. If I get sufficient use out of that rod this fall I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Matthew, I haven't had any issues with cork or EVA and these baits I was just looking for something to set the build apart a little bit without turning some EVA grips. IMO if it holds up it should be a nice option to give someone something a little bit unique while keeping the costs down for them.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2017 07:45PM

I have only done three rods with the Winn tape and that was last year. It sounds like yours is a much heavier version of the rods than I did but in a years use the Winn tape is holding up very well. if I might offer one suggestion Winn doesn't give you much tape to tie down the tapered end so you may want to put some extra wrap in that area. Also the Winn tape seems to work on straight grips the best or ones with a slight curve. I tried it on fast taper split grips and they turned out terrible so I just removed the tape.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster