I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can graphite rods become "softer" or "slower" over time and use?
Posted by: Rob Grider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2017 11:04PM

I have a TFO TiCr fly rod that I built and have used now for several years. It has taken countless smallmouth bass but, and this is subjective mind you, it doesn't seem as fast a rod as it was when I first built it. It seems to me to flex greater and further down the blank than it once did. Hard to quantify at this point in time but just wondered if this is at all possible. As always, thank you for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can graphite rods become "softer" or "slower" over time and use?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2017 11:30PM

The action won't change (where the rod initially flexes), but if the rod experiences enough "cycles" then it can soften and slow in speed. I suspect this is what you're talking about. Now having said that, modern carbon fiber rods can undergo hundreds of thousands of such cycles before there is any noticeably softening or slowing of the rod's power and/or speed. What you may be experiencing is just yourself getting used to the rod or perhaps even pressing it harder. Maybe. If you had a reading for the rod's CCF when it was new it would be a simple matter to repeat the measurement now and compare.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2017 05:34AM

Rob,
The good news about your situation is that if you have a rod that no longer meets your needs ; for what ever reason - just pick up another blank, components and a bit of time and make a new one that is more to your liking.

Good luck

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 25, 2017 08:22AM

Could it be a different/heavier fly line that is making the rod feel different?

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2017 08:54AM

Dan Ertz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could it be a different/heavier fly line that is
> making the rod feel different?

Not likely, similar flies that I have use for years.
I only wish I had "quantified" the rod when first purchased so I could directly compare that data, because it was one of the faster 9ft 5wt. rods that I had built up to that time.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 25, 2017 09:33AM

hi Rob...you can still measure the CCF now and check it down the road to see iff it changes...doesn,t have to be a new rod does it..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 25, 2017 09:37AM

The taper of the line you are casting greatly affects the response - AKA "feel" - of the rod blank. The more line you put in the air with your back cast the more difference the taper makes in the feel of the rod.

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 25, 2017 10:51AM

I don't think they change over time, however I know that I have changed over time. Lately, I have been happily rediscovering some of the rods I made years ago, especially the old fiberglass ones. I guess they are like old ties and suits, eventually they'll become cool again!

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2017 01:24PM

Rob,

Yes, rods can become softer over time. I turned a composite 12 foot surf rod into noodle in less than one year.

You will find the answer to your questions by doing a google search on fishing rod fiberglass scrim . Actually, there are some very good responses about scrim in earlier posts on rodbuilding.org.

It is the breaking of the transverse fiber that allow the tube to go more oval under load (thus softer).

Helix and Dual Helix wraps provide some remedy, however manufacturing is labor intensive. Helix wraps are obsolete and was replaced by better methods about 8 years ago.

Don Becker

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2017 04:50PM

This is certainly the case with regard to many glass rods. It is far, far less of a problem with carbon rods. Many if not most modern carbon rods do not utilize glass scrim any more.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2017 01:26AM

To quote Rob "I have a TFO TiCr fly rod that I built and have used now for several years."

There remain in production many composite rods. Although fiberglass scrim may no longer be a major contributor in preventing a rod from going oval, it is still the transverse wraps that continue to serve this function.

Many if not most of the rods built by modern manufacturers are composed of materials that accomplish the requirements of the rods. As such, you will find numerous materials, patterns, and weaves.

Don Becker

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 07:52AM by Tom Kirkman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster