I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Replacing guides on Tronix Continental Style Beachcasters.....
Posted by: Brian Homer (---.range86-178.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 18, 2017 05:00PM

Hi all,

First post to the site so please be gentle!!

I am dealing with replacing broken rings on an orange coloured Tronix beach rod. Frankly they are a PITA - no matter what shade of thread I try it doesnt match the blank, and I have been unable to find a varnish additive to match either.

I am now moving on to trying out various modelling paints to try and get a match as there are some marks on the blank finish that need attention too. From my reckoning the rings on these rods are wrappped with white thread and the coloured laquer used on the blank is used on the wraps to blend in.

Has anyone else come up with a solution to this problem to save me having a breakdown?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacing guides on Tronix Continental Style Beachcasters.....
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 18, 2017 08:23PM

if your rebuilding the rod to that extent I would just remove all the wrappings and lightly scuff the rod and re paint it in a color that you see fit to use then re wrap finish and your good to go

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2017 09:07PM

Brian,
When I run into a situation like yours, I strip the guides off of the rod and rewrap new guides onto the rod - using a nice contrasting thread - rather than trying to match the color of the blank.

Better to have a nice contrasting color on the thread - rather than trying to use a thread color that is about 3 shades off of true which just clashes with the color of the blank.

Good luck

Date: September 19, 2017 12:54AM

Thanks - I should have pointed out that I am repairing for a customer. The damaged rings are on the Middle section of a 3 piece rod......

Date: September 19, 2017 02:33PM

can you post a picture of the section you to work on that would help a lot in getting you set with the best options to complete the repair

Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2017 04:16PM

Brian,
Since you can't get a thread match, I would check with the customer and if all right - strip the guides off and rewrap the guides with a nice contrasting thread.

Good luck

Date: September 19, 2017 04:24PM

I am going to see how I get on with the paints that arrive tomorrow first, and then see what the customer wants from there. At least I can try and strip back again if its no good.

Date: September 20, 2017 10:02AM

did a search on the rod and found a couple of pics and the color they were looked like a burnt orange on the blank and wrapped with burnt orange threads in I am guessing on the size to be a weight and then finished with out any color preserver giving it the look like a solid sleeve or painted wrap.

Wi.

Posted by: Brian Homer (---.bt.com)
Date: September 27, 2017 08:55AM

Pleased to say I have cracked it. Got a pretty good match using a Humbrol Enamel paint (no 209).

Firstly I levelled out the work area with a thin coat of Hi-build, before painting on 2 coats of the enamel paint, locking this in (once dry) with another thin coat of Hi-build and allowed to fully cure.

The ring was then whipped on with a mid orange thread and this was thinly coated with Hi-build before receiving 2 further coats of the orange enamel paint. Again this was allowed to dry before coating the whippings with Hi-build in the usual manner.

All things considered I think this has given a finish as good as can be done outside of the factory. My client is collecting in 2 days time so hope he is as impressed as I think he will be !!

It's been a lot of hard work and head scratching to get this cracked but now I feel confident in repairing other rods of this ilk in future, and with what I have learned from the process it will be a far quicker and cleaner process than this has been !!

Thanks for all the input along the way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster