I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dec wrap epoxy
Posted by: Scott Gilchrist (---.static.fibrenoire.ca)
Date: September 17, 2017 09:55AM

Hey guys,

I've just done a 10" dec wrap on a float rod for myself. I've done 3 thin coats of thread master and I'm about 80% satisfied with my epoxy job so far... On the top 5 inches of the wrap, the epoxy is perfect, like glass. But the first 5 inches have a few tiny divots that most would not notice but are bugging the @#$%& out of me. My first coat was put on nice and thin but I did notice during the drying process there were a couple tiny spots were the epoxy did not fully cover evenly, making a very tiny pocket. I figured no big deal, the second and third thin coats would cover those up and give me an even finished product. But I feel the second and third coats have made those tiny divots more pronounced. I'm guessing probably because my coats are thin and there isn't enough on the coat to fill the divots fully and level out to the rest of the coat? I'm undecided what do do next. Do I just leave it alone because it is something you really have to feel for to find the divots. Or do I try and put a thicker coat on and hope it fixes the problem?? Any advice out there???

Scott Gilchrist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dec wrap epoxy
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2017 10:15AM

If the divots are mini-craters and always in the same place, it's my guess they are mini spots of contamination that the finish is pulling away from. If they are sticking up, lightly trim the top off with a razor blade and try another coat. If you don't think it's neither one, than put on a coat that's heavier than you have before that will cover the divots, let it set and self-level, remove the excess off the bottom as it droops than when you have what looks good to you, only than turn on your dryer motor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 10:27AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 17, 2017 11:45AM

hi Scott..maybe dab on the spot with a little CP, only on the spot, let dry then apply another thin epoxy coat..

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 17, 2017 01:17PM

If it looks suitable, you can also sand down the high spots with something like 220 sandpaper on a block (to level the surface) and put on another coat. Don't worry about the dull spots from the sanding as they will disappear. Be careful to not go too deep and touch the thread.

There should be a way to fix it rather than accepting it. Epoxy is very forgiving if you can get the surface under it clean and flat.

Date: September 17, 2017 02:23PM

The spots being contaminated is an interesting thought.. Is that normal? What causes contamination on your wraps?
I'm learning pretty quick that your first coat seems to be the most important coat. Kind of like footings when building a house. If your footings have flaws, everything you put on top becomes more difficult.
Funny how such small imperfections can bug you so much.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2017 02:44PM

First of all, what thread are you using? Embroidery threads may have a silicone treatment which repels the epoxy. Also oils from hands, and or tools can cause the issue. Example, some razor blades have a light oil coating to prohibit corrosion, this can be transferred to the wraps when used.

Date: September 17, 2017 03:06PM

I'm using Pro Warp nylon thread.
Wow! I didn't think of the blades having oil.. I'm using carpenters knife blades and I'm certain they have an oil on them! I use them cause I get the five finger discount on them from work. They are very sharp and cut the tag ends of the thread real nice but I bet the oil on the blade may be rubbing on the thread a little bit.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2017 06:15PM

Onething I have learned, is you can make a complete mess out of somethign trying to chase a minor issue. IF you sand, be very careful. Nobody knows what the rod actually looks like, or how thick the epoxy is over the threads, and not one person giving you advice to sand it will accept responsibility if you sand through the epoxy and hit the threads and make your problem worse.

Regardless of what method you attempt to fix this, you are going to have to put an additional coat of finish. My opinion varies depending on how it looks and how much it bothers me, I've become a lot more forgiving leaving minor imperfections in finish alone after so many disasters trying to fix them.

Date: September 18, 2017 06:05PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I've decided to do a light sand before i do another coat, ill put on this coat a little thicker then the first 3 and see what happens. Honestly, if I have to cut it all off I'll do it, no worries. it;s all part of the learning process for me right now. I also have about 12 different dec wraps ive put on wood dowels that I may practice epoxy technique on. that way i can really find out what works for me. Thanks again

Scott Gilchrist

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 18, 2017 10:09PM

Just remember that you will have to sand down and through the "spots". If they are in the first coat, be careful!! Unlike Billy, I can't stand a dimple or wrinkle in a butt wrap finish and will do practically anything to make a glass smooth finish, even to sanding 4 or 5 times. Yes, I went into the thread once...just once. Now I hold my tongue just right and think good thoughts.

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2017 08:52AM

Scott:
Billy V.s advice is right -on, why open a hornets nest. I have been using Flex -Coat finishes for ever, I found out early on that washing my hands often while doing the wrapping has eliminated most of these types of issues which I believe are thread contamination. I very rarely get "Spots" in any of my rod finishes.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster