I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Changing a 1 piece to a 2 piece
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: September 11, 2017 12:11PM

I ordered several of the 'grab bag' blanks that Mudhole offered last week. I was thinking of changing 1 or 2 of them to a 2 piece rod. I figured that the cheaper blank would be a good test to work with.

Is it best to use ferrules or to sand down the blanks and not use ferrules?

Is there a preferred approach or a 'stay away from' approach?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changing a 1 piece to a 2 piece
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 11, 2017 01:09PM

it can be done but you would need to make a spigot type Ferrule or build up the tip section for a slip over one it would be a blob on the blank. or if you don't mind using metal ones that is your 3 rd option
you mentioned sanding down the blank that would for sure make then junk .

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 11, 2017 01:14PM

You can make a slip over rod by using two of the same blanks and cutting them so that one top section will fit over a cut bottom section. Careful measuring is required!

Date: September 11, 2017 01:19PM

I figured that using the metal ferrules would be the easiest. I havent done much investigation on it yet, nor do I have the blanks yet.

I have several production rods that have the little rubber tip on the bottom section for the 2 piece. Any ideas where I can something like that to use? I do have some extra butt caps that I might be able to use if the size is right.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 11, 2017 02:18PM

I would use a spigot type ferrule and wrap the tip section where the spigot fits in to the tip section for graphite blanks chopping up a blank just for a ferrule is silly.
metal are easy just figure where you are going to cut and mic it out and order accordingly if the blank is gloss finished just scuff it a bit where your metal ferrule will be glued don't for get to taper the ends of the ferrules there they meet the rods so if you want to wrap then you have a smooth transition from blank to ferrule

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2017 03:23PM

Ken,
The easiest way to do the job is to buy two of the blanks.
Cut one of the blanks in 1/2.

Take the lower 1/2 of that first blank to use as the butt section. Then, depending on the thickness of your blank wall, you can start about 20 inches below the 1/2 way point of the 2nd blank and cut it. Slip the longer top half over the lower 1/2 and see how it fits.

You can then progressively cut off pieces of the longer upper half, until you get so to the point where the two blanks lock nicely together.

Then, you can decide if you want to trim any length off of the butt section to get the overall length of rod that you desire. No ferrules needed or wanted. Just use the two blanks to make one.

As one of the posts suggested - measure carefully. When making that first cut in the 2nd blank, be sure that you do far enough down the rod, so that the end of the blank will slip nicely over the first blank. Let it be quite a bit longer than necessary to be sure that you get the right fit and then trim the upper section for the final fit.

It is interesting that you bring this up.

I had a 2 piece broken rod come into the shop yesterday. I went to my box of blank cut offs and found a blank with the similar desired action of the former tip section and went through the exact procedure that I outlined above. It only took about 10 minutes to get the perfect fit and length for the new tip section. Now, I just have to wrap on new guides to the tip section, coat the wraps and the rod will be done.

Good luck

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 11, 2017 04:29PM

You also have the option of cutting the blank where you want, then making a ferrule out of a separate piece of blank material that fits over the top of both of them. When you have it measured just right then epoxy the ferrule to the tip section and have the tip section be the female end. Taper the edge of the mated surface so thread can climb up the ridge to reinforce the ferrule. If you have a choice pick something a little sturdier than thin wall graphite for the ferrule, due to strength issues. Some fly blanks I have seen lately come to mind for the thinness of the walls: Probably might want to steer clear of those...

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 11, 2017 06:08PM

Metal works if you do not mind the dead spot! It may not be "SILLY' to use two blanks,if you are looking for performance and appearance !!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 11, 2017 08:30PM

If you have a stash of broken rods you may be able to find a section of old blank that will snugly fit over the blank where you want the ferrule to be located, without any wobble. Want about a 2" over lap on each end so the total length of the ferrlue should be 4" - 4.5". Measure multiple times and dry fit before cutting the blank or the ferrule. You will want a little gap between the two ends of the blank to take care of wear, this can be done by filing a little off the male end. Wrapping the ferrule is always a good idea. I have done this many many times and these oversleeve ferrules work very well. This is the way we made two piece rods before the tip over butt two piece rods where invented. You could also make a spigot ferrule using an old blank piece of a piece of solid fiber glass machined to fit the inside taper of the blank. However this requires cutting the blank first and then making or finding a ferrule.that fits. With the oversleeve ferrule you cut the blank after you have the ferrule ready to go. I have a friend still using a rod with an oversleeve ferrule I made over twenty years ago.
Norm

Date: September 12, 2017 08:29AM

Thanks for the all the suggestions. I probably will go with using an old scrap blank I have and create an oversleeve ferrule. This would allow me to accomplish the task without having to purchase other stuff. I dont have any solid fiberglass to create a spigot ferrule. Like I said previously, I dont have the blanks yet so Im not sure how its gonna go as of yet. I will definitely reinforce the sleeve and put an overwrap on it. This will probably be one of my fall/winter experiments :)

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 13, 2017 06:51AM

Something else for your to do list: keep an eye out for solid rod blanks. You can buy them new, but also find old rods at yard sales, etc. I have even used those fiberglass poles you put in your driveway in the wintertime to tell you where to plow the snow, just chuck it up and sand in a taper.

Date: September 14, 2017 09:41AM

Thanks Phil. Will have to check out the fiberglass poles. Been meaning to check yardsales, but just havent gotten around to it yet.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2017 11:31AM

Ken - Here is a previous post by Mark Talmo that may be of interest to you. I have not tried this method but it sounds very interesting and allows for one to fabricate a ferrule for any rod. [rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster