I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

build comparisons?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 10, 2017 11:11AM

How much weight difference is there between a rod with minimal wraps/decorations/finish coats and the same rod with long/decorative wraps and two or three finish coats? Also, how much difference between the actions of these two rods can be physically measured? Function and appearance are often in opposition, but how much function is actually lost, percentage-wise?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: build comparisons?
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2017 11:34AM

Phil

Interesting question, the answer to which I've not seen quantified. I suppose with two identical blanks, one with lots of long or decorative wraps and the other with minimal wraps, the weight difference can be determined. But, (there's always a but) my guess is the action impact resulting from long guide or decorative wraps on the lower rod sections is not nearly so significant as are longer wraps on the upper third of a rod. If I remember correctly it was E. Garrison who would not add a tip top wrap because of the extra weight way out at the tip. However, It was one of the things he did not quantify.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 10, 2017 11:38AM

if i can feel the difference, that,s enough quantification for me. lol.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2017 12:18PM

Of course the answer is, "it depends." On a light fly rod, the effects can be substantial, on a Tuna rod none.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 10, 2017 01:16PM

Easy to determine. Measure the CCS of two identical blanks (they don't have to be expensive, for the sake of this experiment almost anything will do), measure their weights to ensure good baseline weight on each, measure their frequencies if you can, wrap them differently, and re-test all parameters. Sell them. All it costs is time. As Phil Erickson says, the lighter the blanks the most difference in performance parameters.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2017 02:04PM

I would suggest that the typical fisherman would not be able to tell the difference.

Good luck

Date: September 10, 2017 02:05PM

Michael: I'm lazy. That's why I asked instead of doing it myself. I was thinking of something in the mid-range of rods, somewhere between a 4 1/2 foot meat stick and a 9 foot 4 wt. fly rod.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2017 03:33PM

depends what size components you would use guides and threads that is why there is a vast selection of guides and different thread sizes where you would have issues is with light weight rods panfish ultra lights and fly /spey salmon/steel head rods and some jigging rods the stiffer the rod the less it would matter NOT the taper of slow, med,fast,x fast the rod blank it self because the tapers come in most size blanks and governs how the rod acts/ recovers when casting

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: September 10, 2017 04:17PM

Me too, Phil. I was hoping you would do it. Of course so much depends on the extent of the differences in wraps that what one person would do would not necessarily relate to what someone else would do. But I have no doubt that with a rod like a 3 wt fly rod or a walleye jigging spin rod, the differences could be significant and easily felt. You mentioned action in the original post. I don't think action or power as defined by CCS , would be affected, but there is little doubt in my mind that for the lighter rods the recovery speed/damping and sensitivity changes would be easy to detect. Since there is no cost penalty (other than titanium) for doing it small, light, and minimum, that's what I always try to do.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2017 06:33PM

With the CCS, the Action Angle is not going to change, the power will be slightly less. Now the real important measurement is the relative frequency (CCF) because this is where any weight and where that weight is located is really going to show up insofar as whether or not it produces any practical change in performance.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: September 10, 2017 08:48PM

Regarding weight differences. Couldn't you just weigh the amount of extra thread, trim rings, winding checks, etc on a digital scale? Would give you a rough estimate anyway. Also depends on your definition of excessive wrapping. 2X, 3X, 4X, or whatever. The additional finish is kinda the X fact in the equation.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: September 10, 2017 08:49PM

Regarding weight differences. Couldn't you just weigh the amount of extra thread, trim rings, winding checks, etc on a digital scale? Would give you a rough estimate anyway. Also depends on your definition of excessive wrapping. 2X, 3X, 4X, or whatever. The additional finish is kinda the X fact in the equation.

Date: September 10, 2017 09:25PM

Of course you could do that, easy enough. The question as to how much difference it makes simply depends on a host of other factors. The CCF would be about the only way I know of to quantify how it actually affects the rod's performance.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 11, 2017 07:04PM

I think there are so many factors that will affect the performance of a rod / blank. Small amounts of weight here or there on identical blanks using identical line and reels would be the only way to determine this. Identical guides and spacing as well as grips and reel seats would also have to be done in order to quantify the exact responses from these changes. It is mind boggling to say the least. I believe the most important aspect of a rod and reel is balance and what combination will create a better balance to enhance the performance of said rod. It is more evident in a fly rod than any other type of rod I can think of. Lighter tackle type rods for smaller fish types would be a second and as the target species gets larger then what is the point. The thing as custom rod builders that is not the art, then it is the performance and to me a rod should be built to the reel to be used on that rod. Whether fly rod, spinning, casting or even offshore the rod needs to be built to the reel and line that is to be used. The "Big Box" stores cannot provide this so that is why we are here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 07:09PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Date: September 12, 2017 02:04PM

It seems to me that until we can quantify the differences between rods made by added weight and leveraged weight there is little profit in obsessing over minor differences between blanks, components, or builds. Without physical data we are reduced to beliefs and "feel" - and there is no way to effectively recommend either of these to another angler.

Date: September 12, 2017 05:28PM

Phil, what you say is true. But your original question can be answered by test for the two blank build conditions you "describe" (not very definitively, if you expect a definitive answer). Simply do a CCS, then the frequency test that Tom described. Then you have answered it for one set of blanks, one set of variables. To expect to plug in a set of values for the variations of build when the blanks themselves have not been objectively described is folly. And is it all worth it? By the time one gets all of today's blanks described objectively, they are obsolete. I'm fine with having CCS numbers for all the blanks I'm considering (and I know the reluctance of blank builders to provide them is based mostly on how much of a hard time we builders give them-better to not provide them at all) and know that the lighter I build, especially out from the grip,the better the rods will be.

Date: September 12, 2017 05:57PM

If someone were to do this, I would caution against two rod builds. Build one, minimally, and then record the measurements. Then take the same rod and add whatever embellishments you desire, or perhaps one at a time, and repeat the measurements. This nullifies the slight differences that occur between blanks of even the same model, or even of the involved components.

Date: September 13, 2017 09:04AM

Tom: Your point is well taken about differences between blanks and how to neutralize them before comparing different builds. I have not seen any physical data comparing any two blanks of the same make and model. It's possible there is significant variation between blanks of the same make and model, as far as I can tell. If we rod builders are to communicate effectively we need to use specific terms which can be duplicated: ounces, inches, milliseconds for example. Words like "smooth", "fast", "soulful", "forgiving", "light" or "powerful" or, the BIG one - "feel", do not convey any useful information whatsoever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 09:06AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: September 13, 2017 09:21AM

I would certainly agree with you. This is the reason Dr. Hanneman invented the CCS. The funny thing is that neither fishermen nor most rod builders would tolerate length being listed in terms such as "long" "medium, "short" etc. but they're okay with similar terms used to describe action, power, etc.

Date: September 14, 2017 10:45AM

Good catch, Tom, One rod is the right way to conduct an experiment like this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster