I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First turned reel seat
Posted by: Rick Provencher (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: September 09, 2017 07:30PM

I turned my first reel seat today. It is going to be awesome tomorrow after the dye is dry and it is buffed to a full sheen. It is a maple burl piece I had from when I had my woodworking store. 15 years ago!

I did a double dye with dk mission brown and then sanded off and did Early am. maple for top. I am trying to match a flamed goldleaf sheet that has a lot of red and didnt think it had enough so I sanded it again and did a Cardinal red dye for the top.

Should look awesome on another Bass rod I am making.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First turned reel seat
Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: September 09, 2017 09:18PM

That looks awesom! Can you explain the process, and/or where you find the separate pieces of seats to make this? I've been interested in this a while now, but don't know the process.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2017 09:58AM

Randy,
It is a very simple process.
Purchase a "skeletal reel seat" in the brand, size and style that you wish. The seat will come in two pieces with the threaded portion and the hooded portion.
Then, one just needs to turn a piece of material to the same size as the "tube size" on which the reel seat is based. When the center section has been turned to the correct size, a tenon, or cut down portion of the center reel seat is turned down to slip perfectly inside the threaded and hood portion of the reel seat.

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

In this listing, you can buy the front and rear skeletal reel seat as well as the center section in your choice of materials:
[alpsforecast.com]

Pictures of many various skeletal reel seats and center inserts:
[www.google.com]:

=====================================
When creating the center insert, I like to first bore out the center of the insert to be of a size that will nicely fit a lathe mandrel - and be just a bit smaller than the smallest portion of the rod blank that the insert will be fitted to.
By boring the hole first and then turning the insert, the center hole will be perfectly centered and you will have only a small amount of reaming to complete after completing the insert.

Good luck

Date: September 10, 2017 11:34AM

Thanks Randy. It is a relatively easy process if you have the tools and patience. Roger pretty much said it well on what to do with some good links for supplies. I used a pen mandrel and bushings I had to hold the blank in place. I turned it down and checked with calipers and sanded and fitted until I liked it. Give it a try and have some fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 11:34AM by Rick Provencher.

Date: September 10, 2017 04:49PM

I just did a second one with green dye and got some tin ca glue and got both coated and sealed. First coating dried and a second coat applied. I will let sit over night and buff to a high gloss tomorrow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster