I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

single foot/double foot sizing
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2017 08:55AM

I am going to build a fly using single foot guides and am wondering if the guide size is the same no matter if single or double footed guides are used. It seems that I read when using single foot guides go larger by a size or two.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: single foot/double foot sizing
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2017 09:06AM

Robert

Links to PDFs below

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[flexcoat.com]

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2017 09:55AM

Robert
Depends.
Same manufacturer - yes. different manufacture - maybe not.

Single foot REC and Snake REC are same.
Singe foot REC and Snakebrand snakes - no.

What weight rod are you building? For salt or fresh. What size running guides are you thinking?

Herb

Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2017 12:37PM

Herb, I have a st Croix IV fast action(8wt) I tend to go as small as I can with both stripper guides and so far snake guides. With the stripper guides I would use a 12and 10 stripper with a 4/5 guide and 3s to the end. I make my own leaders I use nail and or blood knots, believing they the smoothest knot to pass through the guides. Fly line is most often a welded loop. I fish fresh water for bass and the odd pike . With my current set up I have a hard time casting the larger bass poppers and other flies. I haven't used snake brand or rec guides.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2017 02:03PM

Robert:

Random thoughts:

- Line to leader knots ought pass thru the guides only when rigging - not when landing a fish. #3 snakes ought do the trick.
- Line to backing can be an issue, but, again #3s ought be enough.
- Don't assume a single foot guide will pass knots easier than a snake. That jury is still out with the voting thus far in favor of the snakes.
- Snake Brand guides are terrific. If you've not tried them yet you've a pleasant surprise in your future when you do.
- Finally, the large and frequently heavy or wind resistant bass flies can be a casting challenge but not one best addressed by guide size or style. A shorter or stiffer leader is worth a try as is a different line taper.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2017 09:25PM

Robert
Donald is correct in saying that knots should not be considered in guide size. leader knots have no business being in the guides when fighting a fish nor casting.
Guide size is more a function of being able to pass a running line tangle.
And - yes - #3's are fine.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster