I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drop shot rod blank
Posted by: Aaren Mathes (161.130.115.---)
Date: September 06, 2017 07:29PM

Hi I'm new to the forums and relatively new to rod building. I am wanting to make a technique specific drop shot rod. What are your opinions on the best blanks to use? Price is not much of an issue but would prefer to stay reasonable.

Thanks,

Aaren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drop shot rod blank
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 06, 2017 09:04PM

Give Getrodblanks a look. They have nice blanks, and you won't break the bank.

Posted by: Bryan Burbank (---.lightspeed.albsal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 06, 2017 10:06PM

Many of the sponsors on this site have rod blanks for a reasonable price...look at the specials or bargain bin...buy several at a time...save on shipping cost for just one blank...This way you can build the rod and if something does not go the way you planned you don't have a ton of money invested... I use a 6' 6" to 7' fast action medium power for drop shot...Good Luck...

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2017 12:09AM

I like the MHX DS822, Liberty DS700, and the Phenix UMBX-S700M-B

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2017 12:26AM

The nice thing about St. Croix technique specific blanks is that you can handle a finished rod at your sporting goods store to get a general feel for the rod your going to build before you build it. Even if the rod at the store isn't the exact blank you select, the blanks in the category you select will stay pretty true as far as blank power and actions, many of the quality blank manufacturers also can accomplish this. You'll see industry and angler reviews for these popular blanks/rods all over the internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 12:55AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2017 09:02AM

Seriously look at the Bushido DS 69/4-10 Drop Shot blank. You can feel a whisper on these blanks. Extremely fast and very strong. Paired with Microwave Air guides, they are very light, yet strong and tough. The blanks are also technique specific, so when using the semi-vertical drop shot /drag method, you will not miss a take. Mine is also a really sweet blank for using Ned Rigs in Michigan.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2017 09:02AM

Seriously look at the Bushido DS 69/4-10 Drop Shot blank. You can feel a whisper on these blanks. Extremely fast and very strong. Paired with Microwave Air guides, they are very light, yet strong and tough. The blanks are also technique specific, so when using the semi-vertical drop shot /drag method, you will not miss a take. Mine is also a really sweet blank for using Ned Rigs in Michigan.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: September 07, 2017 09:16AM

Like Randy said... Check out the American Tackle DS blanks... I have converted many from other brands with that blank.... super crisp and tough!

www.americantackle.us

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Stefan Nyberg (---.011-177-65736b4.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se)
Date: September 07, 2017 09:46AM

I Love My Bushido Dropshot rod. I use it all the time when I'm shooting for perch and Zanders.
It's light and have an awesome spine but a really sensitive tip. Strongly recommend that blank

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2017 12:08PM

My personal drop shot rod is built on a MHX HM-DS8515 blank paired with a Shimano 2500 spinning reel. I used a Fuji SK split grip (for the exposed blank), cork grips (very light) and a foregrip with a cutout for my thumb that exposes the blank.
This rod is very light, sensitive and rather stiff and strong. The strength helps get the fish out of brush piles and the stiffness helps "twitch" the bait while leaving the sinker resting on the bottom. I used Tidal Wave guides as I will often cast a drop shot rig when searching for bass. For line I use 20lb braid with an 8lb fluro leader. Hope this helps!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 07, 2017 09:55PM

Having built quite a few drop shot rods I can say my customers are quite pleased with the HIGH MODULUS MHX DS822 . Rated 8-14 lb line it is crisp with a 4 tip and yet powerful and light weight. Guides would be your call but I use titanium, Fuji K series or Microwave Wave guides aka Tidal Wave. For the money it is one sweet drop shot blank.

Tom

tomscustomrods.com

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: September 08, 2017 08:06AM

I like the Bushido DS 69/4-10. You can feel the fish swimming by your bait just before it hits.

Date: September 08, 2017 06:46PM

Capt. Craig Freeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the Bushido DS 69/4-10. You can feel the
> fish swimming by your bait just before it hits.

Dang you guys like this so much I will have to try one... feel it swimming by huh.........nice.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2017 06:55PM

Bushido rods are nice, but not that nice!
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 08, 2017 09:04PM

Sorry, I just noticed Getrodblanks no longer appears as a sponsor on the all important list on the left, I believe they are still in operation however. Those who support us as builders are all of value.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: September 10, 2017 08:53PM

Being money is of no object - I've always felt it didn't get any better than the K2s in terms of feel / bott contact presentations. After spending some time with a few Point Blanks, I find them just as satisfying for less money. You really get a lot of bang for the buck with these imo. I'd take a look at one of their ML models in your preferred length.

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2017 12:59PM

I agree with Mark. The Point Blank, 701MLF, or the 701LXF, will fit the drop shot application perfectly.

Date: September 16, 2017 04:31PM

Ernest Horvath Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Mark. The Point Blank, 701MLF, or the
> 701LXF, will fit the drop shot application
> perfectly.

Posted by: Travis W Thompson (107.77.64.---)
Date: September 20, 2017 11:04AM

I have 2 Rainshadow REVS610MXF-SB Blanks to do. The selection was based in reasonable priced good DS rods. This is a replacement for the "beloved" Batson ISB822.5

[rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster