I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod reel seat
Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.crescommwifi.com)
Date: September 06, 2017 08:08PM

What determines a up lock or down lock reel seat on a fly rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod reel seat
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 06, 2017 09:04PM

An up locking reel seat has the moveable hood to the rear of the back reel foot, and you have to screw the nut up to lock the reel in place. A down locking reel seat has the moveable hood in front of the reel foot and you have to screw the nut down to lock the reel in place.
Norm

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 06, 2017 11:39PM

With a up locking seat the reel sits further from the butt. With a down locking seat the reel sits closer to the butt.
Typically a fresh water seat is down locking. A saltwater is up locking to facilitate putting the butt in your belly.
herb

Date: September 07, 2017 01:32AM

I should have said this another way, when you build a fly rod what determines if you use a up lock or down lock reel seat, or is this personal preferance.

Date: September 07, 2017 01:34AM

so it has nothing to do with balance or preformance

Date: September 07, 2017 01:34AM

so it has nothing to do with balance or preformance

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2017 07:36AM

Jerry

It is personal preference and other considerations. An up locking seat moves the reel forward and does change balance a bit. The grip for an up locking seat is usually inlet to accept the seat's hood which in turn means not all grip styles (half Wells or really skinny cigar or torpedo grips for example) will easily accommodate the reel seat hood inlet. Up locking seats work with fighting butts for heavier rods - 6 weights and above - while down locking seats do not.

Any rod "performance" impact is minimal. Balance point (without defining balance point) is impacted and is another of those highly personal preference items impacting casting feel but not rod action.

My preference favors down locking seats for 2 thru 5 weight rods and up locking seats for 6 weight and greater. However, I have aging 8 weight Winston with no fighting butt and down locking seat that casts like a dream an is a go to rod for black bass. Life's just full of exceptions to general rules.

Date: September 07, 2017 11:40AM

Thanks Donald this was a great help

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: September 07, 2017 01:20PM

I am building a 8'6" 7 weight fiberglass in down locking with fighting butt, it is just an uplocker reversed with an inlet butt. I have even seen small fighting butts glued to flat round down locking seats. Heavier and longer blanks benefit more with a downlocker for balance and many grips that start off skinny near the butt like cigar,Fenwick and Ritz.It comes mainly down to personal preference.I have been wondering lately if a Czech nymph rod would do well with a downlocking reel seat.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 09, 2017 08:50PM

One other factor in your choice. If you have tendency to stand your rod up against something while fishing, a downlocking seat can put the reel in the dirt.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 09, 2017 11:52PM

Phil has the best reason I think, I vote for the up locking in all cases

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2017 08:58AM

I've recently researched the up vs. downlocking approach for my own builds and one thing I came across was "rod" balance vs. "casting" balance. We all know the test where you balance the cork handle on a finger or two to find the balance--but this balance is only practical if you plan to hang the rod on a peg on its handle! Fly casting is not a pendulum whereby the reel and rod length are on either side of a fulcrum (effectively casting by pivoting wrist). Ideal rod balance is an extension of the angler's arm (think body and arm movement, tip traveling straight line). I've tried casting my fly rods with a length of line taped to the reel seat without a reel and must admit, casting is even easier/more accurate (essentially this all that's done in euro-nymphing or tenkara).

With that said, I think you're safe choosing a reel seat solely for the aesthetic or tradition of the design. I tend to go uplocking on most trout rods to keep reel as close to my grip as possible, but use down loacking for tradition's sake, such as on short fly rods or fiberglass fly rods.

Wish I could pull up the source where I read this--maybe Carl McNeil at Epic or from Tom Morgan.

Hope it helps in having to make a not-so-critical decision.

A.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster