I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra licgt rod build
Posted by: Jeff Bodnar (---.midco.net)
Date: September 04, 2017 02:29PM

I was on the water yesterday when, while casting, my line wrapped around the tip of my micro light and ripped it out of my hand and off the side of the boat in 40 ft of water. I about cried as I watched my favorite trout rod sink out of sight. It was a Quantam Micro-light. It cant be purchased any more. So I'm gonna build me a new one. I am wanting short <5' fast action. I found S661-MHX, NFC FW501-1 and St Croix 3S50ULF. The MHX is most economical. I have only built surf rods and never with MHX. How do they compare? Which of the 3 blanks would you use? It is for fishing streams and lakes throwing lures only. Joes flies up to small spoons. Thanks for responding.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra licgt rod build
Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: September 04, 2017 06:03PM

I would add the Batson SP600cg to that list, might be the best bang for the buck but they are all very nice blanks.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 04, 2017 07:31PM

I would not build an ultra-light shorter than 6-6, preferably 7-0 . Better hook sets and casting distance. I've fished both, and find the longer rods much better.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2017 09:07PM

I agree. If the point is to magnify the fight, longer is better.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: September 04, 2017 09:44PM

On some of our lakes the timber is really thick and there are times when a shorter rod is required, same with shooting docks. Normally I will use a six or six and a half footer when not fighting the thick trees.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2017 12:19AM

The need for a short rod for tight quaters work has been around for ages, yet in today's bass fishing, you'll not see rods used that length anymore.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2017 07:16AM

Jeff,
Rather than give up, why not ask a diver friend to go down and get the rod back?

Good luck

Date: September 05, 2017 10:31AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeff,
> Rather than give up, why not ask a diver friend to
> go down and get the rod back?
>
> Good luck

I dive, however in South Dakota where I currently reside there is one dive shop and it would cost more to rent gear than to build a new one. Besides the wife gave me the go ahead to build a new one

Date: September 05, 2017 10:41AM

Terry Kirk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would add the Batson SP600cg to that list, might
> be the best bang for the buck but they are all
> very nice blanks.

This blank has a medium action, I am looking for more of a fast action. The NFC blank says "full" action Can anyone explain this?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 05, 2017 11:55AM

Full action I think means moderate to slow action, with the rod bending the full length of the rod. The MHX blanks are very nice, have a faster action, and represent a very good buy. If you want something with an extra fast action try the MHX SJ720. Use the length you like. For an ultra light rod I like to use the PacBay Minima 4 match (M) as reduction guides and the Minima 4 fly (F) as running guides, set up using the Fuji KR concept. This gives a very light, sensitive, and responsive rod.
Norm

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.sub-174-255-197.myvzw.com)
Date: September 05, 2017 01:11PM

Batson REVS54UL. Far and away my favorite small stream trout rod for throwing everything from #2 panther Martin's or joes flies up to small crankbaits. It excells in a brush choked trout stream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster