I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Putting CP over NCP and Trimaran thried.
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (104.140.17.---)
Date: September 02, 2017 01:09AM

Can I put CP over Trimar thried and NCP thried or will it darken the color.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Putting CP over NCP and Trimaran thried.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 03:11AM

Why would you want to put CP over NCP thread?

By the way, if you want to learn the approximate shade of a finished rod applying finish with NO cp, simply brush on a generous coat of DNA or Alcohol.

When the Alcohol is still wet will indicate the approximate finished color shade of the rod and thread, if you do NOT use any CP. The alcohol will evaporate and you will be left with the completed wrap, ready for you to apply finish or cp and finish if you prefer.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 03:13AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 04:24AM

My problem Roger is that the guides were wrapped with red nylon but the trim bands are Trimar by the old Holland thread company and Holland made of trimar with NCP so I need to put CP on the red nylon and so the Holland trimar will end up getting covered with NCP. About the only thing I can do Roger is to do the Nylon with NCP first and let dry and then snug up the trim but I just don't want to start over so will it hurt anything to coat over both.

Any help would be great.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 08:33AM

I put CP over NCP thread all of the time. I use mostly regular nylon thread for may main wraps but sometimes use NCP thread for contrast or trim bands. I apply CP over the entire wrap. I see no darkening of the NCP colors. I am not familiar with the Holland Trimar threads so I cant comment on that particular thread.

Rog

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2017 08:52AM

It won't hurt anything if you apply CP to NCP thread.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 12:14PM

Glenn,
As I said in my post, take DNA and thoroughly wet down the wrap. Observe the results when the DNA has saturated the wrap. If you are happy with the look you need no CP on the wrap. If you observe darkening of some part of the wrap that you don't want to have happen, then coat the entire wrap with CP and carry on.

Good luck

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 02:06PM

Thanks that makes it much more clear Roger.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 03, 2017 03:42AM

it is always a good thing to do a test wrap on a scrap piece and see what you have
all so think a head a bit and if you use a ncp coated thread for trim bands is fine and if you use uncoated thread for the main wrap you that is where the test wrap will give you the results you want
do the main wrap and coat it if you want to or not it and if you don't want to use cp on it you don't have to metalic threads don't have to be coated to keep their brightness

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster