I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Causes of blank sheared at the ferrule
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2017 08:12PM

What would cause a heavy tuna rod that was built with a bent butt to shear off at the ferrule? This question was asked of me by a angler that was fighting the fish while the rod was inserted into the gunnel of the boat. What kinds of reason would the rod shear off at this location where presumably it is the strongest part of the rod? Can the method of installation of the ferrule be at fault? This is not a rod that I built but I have used this blank on many builds with bent butts without incidence of breakage. I do follow a very regimented method of connecting the ferrule on these heavy tuna rods and I am very curious as to what caused the rod to shear at this location. My guesses are that it is possibly defective blank, pre-existing damage unrelated to the fishing or defective method of installation of the ferrule. From the video, I can eliminate angler error and high sticking. The breakage does not look like it was crushed but looks like it was sheared.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Causes of blank sheared at the ferrule
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2017 08:36PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Photo of the break. Sorry don't have the other part.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 01, 2017 09:54PM

with out the other part it would it would be a guess as I see it

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 12:50AM

would have to agree with Bill to me it looks like a blank failure it might have been sanded down to fit the ferrule just one of the possible causes.

>Re: Causes of blank sheared at the ferrule
>Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 01, 2017 08:54PM

>with out the other part it would it would be a guess as I see it

>William Sidney
>AK

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2017 05:21PM

Maybe the blank didn't seat far enough down the ferrule during bonding or like Matthew said in regard to weakening by possibly sanding it down. I wonder if a solid fiberglass spigot "stint" would be stronger if the blank OD is too big to fit in the metal ferrule?

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 03, 2017 08:29AM

Mel:
Haven't built any heavy duty tuna rods in awhile, but all the IGFA 50 thru 130- unlimited rods I built I inserted a fiber glass plug or bushing in the blank the length of the female ferrule. Never had any returned with breakage. Most had bent butts but were used in a fighting chair not a rod holder. I also used Marine Tex to attach the ferrule to the blank, never sanded the blank, just rough it up a little. Hope this helps.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster