I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bill Stevens
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 01, 2017 06:16PM

Many people here know Bill Stevens and many of the newer guys from the last couple of years probably never heard of him. He was a regular contributor here for many years and was a major proponent of the use of microguides.
I just got news that Bill passed away at 3:15 today after a brief illness. He was one of the most knowledgeable person I knew in this craft. He got out of building about three years ago after his wife passed and he never was able to get over he's passing. He'll be greatly missed by many.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bill Stevens
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2017 06:30PM

Very sorry to hear it. Bill was very helpful to a great many builders.

Posted by: Bryan Burbank (---.lightspeed.albsal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 01, 2017 06:48PM

Sorry to hear...Prayers for his family...

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 01, 2017 07:17PM

I have read a ton of posts by Bill, and they were always helpful. Sorry to hear of his passing. Condolence to his family.
Norm

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 01, 2017 08:31PM

Our prayers are with his family at this very hard time , thanks for the up date, Bill

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.87.---)
Date: September 01, 2017 08:59PM

I absolutely loved Bill's whit and I have a great deal off respect for him. He was very influential for my building career and is one of the true talents rodbuilding has seen. He once donated a blank and components to me for a unit Christmas party completely on his own accord. I called to ask for a suggestion and he insisted that he send it free of charge. The winner of the rod still fishes it today and raves about it every time. His generosity knew no bounds. I enjoyed seeing him at ICRBE while I as stationed on the east coast. He will be truly missed. We have lost another great builder may he again be happy with his wife forever. RIP my friend!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 01, 2017 11:09PM

Very sorry to hear about Bills passing. He was a good friend. I knew him for many years . We shared some great stories about metallurgy and such in the Fossil Power Industry. And we shared some great stories about Rod Building. He was very instrumental in getting the Micro Guides in production, along with Steve Gardner and some others I didn't know. He was a wealth of knowledge, full of information. He will be missed. Condolences to Bill's family.

Thanks to Lance for posting.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 12:52AM

Prayers for his family. rest easy in Gods creel

Matthew Mil. Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 12:54AM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2017 09:23AM

Thank you Lance. I will miss him. We had many long talks.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 01:42PM

To All.

Bill was very knowledgeable, helpful and considerate.

He was a good man and a "Trip" in many ways, he could make most anybody laugh as easily as he would teach a lesson in rod craft, or a story of antidotal nature.

Bill shall be missed by many.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 09:16PM

Bill Stevens was one of the most colorful, articulate, opinionated people I loved in rod building. There was no kinda like or kinda dislike. You either loved Bill or he drove you bonkers. Phone calls could last hours and stories, well you weren't really sure if they were exactly true, embellished or what and then most of time you'd find out they were 95% true. He taught, shared, included and wanted everyone to partake in rodbuilding. He would give anything he knew. He operated behind the scenes on so many things, including nothing more than stirring the pot at times - something he devilishly enjoyed. And it was fun to hear him talk about how he deliberately stirred up stuff.

Bill was a massive influence on me in rodbuilding. Bill did and helped me with so many things I couldn't even begin to list them all.

Rest in peace my friend and laissez le bon temps rouler. Your greatest lagniappe was just being able to call you my friend.

Alex

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 09:16PM

Bill Stevens was one of the most colorful, articulate, opinionated people I loved in rod building. There was no kinda like or kinda dislike. You either loved Bill or he drove you bonkers. Phone calls could last hours and stories, well you weren't really sure if they were exactly true, embellished or what and then most of time you'd find out they were 95% true. He taught, shared, included and wanted everyone to partake in rodbuilding. He would give anything he knew. He operated behind the scenes on so many things, including nothing more than stirring the pot at times - something he devilishly enjoyed. And it was fun to hear him talk about how he deliberately stirred up stuff.

Bill was a massive influence on me in rodbuilding. Bill did and helped me with so many things I couldn't even begin to list them all.

Rest in peace my friend and laissez le bon temps rouler. Your greatest lagniappe was just being able to call you my friend.

Alex

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2017 02:32AM

Rest in Peace Sir, Spoke with you at Several Expo's, Extremly knowageable about all phases of Rod Building . Also A Very Funny Person

Rest in Peace Sir, Spoke with you at Several Expo's, Extremly knowageable about all phases of Rod Building . Also A Very Funny Person

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster