I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Speck/albie rod build using a salmon blank
Posted by: Dutch Siersema (73.110.38.---)
Date: August 29, 2017 07:04PM

So I've got this idea in my head to build a 9' - 9'6 distance rod using the kr-concept for launching mirrolures and gulps for specks as well as tins and albie snax for albie from the shore / jetties. I'm looking at 3 salmon/steelhead blanks and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the blanks I'm considering as well as if this is even a good idea/concept. The blanks are St. Croix SCIII (3SC96MF2), Rainshadow RX8 (XST1143F-TC) and North Forks Composites (HS 761-2(IM). The St Croix and Rainshadow are 9'6" • fast action • med power • lure wt - SCIII - 1/4-3/4 oz. RX8 - 3/8-3/4. The NFC is the same but 9' with extra fast action. My main concern is that being salmon/steelhead blanks these will be too soft. Any thoughts / recommendations would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Dutch

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speck/albie rod build using a salmon blank
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2017 08:51PM

They should all work well for what you want to do. I have four salmon / steelhead rods that I use for distance casting for inshore saltwater and freshwater spillway fishing all with Fuji KR concept guides. If you want a little more backbone try the RX8 XST1085F, makes up into a very nice rod.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2017 11:20PM

Perfect blanks for your choices. No issue with the rod tips.

Good luck

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 30, 2017 12:02PM

I looked up one of the blanks and it was rated up to 3/4 ounce lure. For your proposed application - distance casting - this is too light. For example, I use the tins for this application starting at 1oz, but if I want serious distance I start at 1 1/2 oz and go up to about 2 1/2. A rod rated for 3/4 oz max will cast the lure but it will flop into the water unsatisfactorily close to your feet. Ideally you will have a blank rated well above your max lure size as you will be putting the wood to it on the cast and need the backbone for optimum performance. I have put together a bunch of rods for this application, and have learned these lessons on the beach and pier. In my experience, the max distance I can get out of, say a 1 1/2 tin, is from an 11 ft rod rated to 3 oz, with a well tuned abu 6500c and 12 lb line.- is about 100 yards. So...think backbone.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 30, 2017 04:16PM

I agree with Philip. The most often used lure weight should fall about middle on the rod lure ratings. Will cast better and if you decide to put a little more weight on it will handle that as well. The albie snax soft plastics work but you should check out hogy epoxy jigs. They work awesome for albies and have a wide lure weight range. Good luck.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 30, 2017 07:34PM

distance casting is a pretty broad description of what you want to accomplish
you could be better helped if you state the type of reel a level wind bait cast or an open bail spinning reel
because they both have different abilities to toss a lure in the weights you will be using.
a bait caster will require a blank with more power back bone to whip the lure a good distance.
a spinning reel doesn't need the backbone as it works best with lure weights the blank is designated for.
my comments are from my own personal experience building and using both type for fishing coho and Chinook salmon using lures from 3/8- 1 1/2 ounce with spinning reel blank description 3/8 - 3/4 ounce 9-6 ft 2 piece
and with a bait cast reel blank description 1/2 -1 ounce 9 foot 2 piece

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2017 12:13AM

Google Menpachi rods, used to throw smaller presentations off reefs in the south pacific. CTS probably makes some as does Talon here in the US.

Posted by: Dutch Siersema (73.110.38.---)
Date: August 31, 2017 02:02PM

My bad. You're right Mathew, I should have mentioned the reel. So I'm building this off of a Penn Clash 3000 with 10 - 15lb Suffix 832. The KR reduction train is going to be - KLH 16H, 8H, 6M, 5.5L followed by 2 x KB5s and then KT5s to the top.

Lures are primarily 3" Gulps with 3/8oz jig head, Mirrolures (1/2 - 3/4 oz) for the specks and Deadly Dicks/Hogy/Daddy Macs, (3/8 - 7/8 oz) and Albie Snax (1/2 oz) for the albie/bonito. Basically nothing heavier than 7/8 oz but primarily in the 3/8 - 3/4 oz range.

The main blanks I'm now considering are the
SCIII (3SC96MF2) 9'6" • fast action • med power • lure wt - 1/4 - 3/4 oz
and
SCIII (3SC96MHF2) 9'6" • fast action • MH power • lure wt - 3/8 - 1 oz

I may move up to the SCV versions of one of these if they feel like they have a faster action. (5SC96MF2-G or 5SC96MHF2-G).

Like I said, my main concern is that these being salmon/steelhead blanks they will be too soft. I have a few 7 and 7'6" fast action / ML / M Lamiglas rods I use for specks and albie which are great and I can feel the slightest pick up of gulps. I just want to build something that will give me a bit more distance casting small lures without losing too much sensitivity. Thanks y'all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2017 02:12PM by Dutch Siersema.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 31, 2017 04:33PM

I would move up to the MH blank. This will give you a little more versatility, since it will not only cast your lighter lures quite well but also allow you to cast something a little heavier. For a 3000 Penn reel you might think about changing your reduction guides to either KL20H, 10H, 5.5M, or KL20H, 10H, 7M, 5.5L. In my option the larger stripper give you more versatility and better performance on longer M to MH rods I have tried both the three guide and four guide reduction train on 9' salmon rods and I prefer the three guide train with a fast action blank. A moderate to moderate fast action blank will do well with the four guide train.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 31, 2017 04:45PM

Strongly urge you to move to size 20 stripper. 20H, 10H, 6M. You will generate some pretty good lure speed with a longer rod and it looks like a recipe for line over running your stripper. The 16 as a great ultralight solution, but I would suggest no less than a 20 and I might even test cast the 25.

Posted by: Dutch Siersema (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2017 07:49PM

Thanks Norman and Jim. I'm definitely adjusting and will test 2 setups (A) - 20H, 10H, 6M and (B) - 25H, 12H, 7M. If I do end up feeling I need a fourth guide in the reduction train I'll use a 5.5L.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2017 12:11PM

as for the guide set up I would do a combination of the Kr concept and the old cof that will give you the least amount of problems

1 strip 25, down to a 16 to a 10 and 8 for runners for mono
2 strip 20 down to a 16 to a 12 and 6 for runners for braid

I say this because mono & fl carbon doesn't flow like braid does and will actually can slow down the lure in a cast because of the memory that mono & fl carbon has.
the weight difference between the 2 set ups is minuscule
The last salmon rod I built to use with mono was set up with the #1 set up and works well I toss a 1/4 lead head with a 4 inch minnow plastic it goes about 75-80 feet easily that is with 12 lb no frills mono the old xl

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster