I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro guide for a hook keeper
Posted by: Bryan Burbank (---.static.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: August 28, 2017 12:15PM

I have a few 3mm & 4mm single foot micro guides...I was maybe going to use as a hook keeper...any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro guide for a hook keeper
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 28, 2017 12:33PM

it is your rod, if you like it do it, would be best to install up side down so it would not pull out very easy , what I think ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 28, 2017 12:52PM

use a forehan locking wrap and your good to go..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2017 03:55PM

Do not know what kinds of hooks you use, but a size 3 and maybe a size 4 guide might not allow some hooks to go inside the ring. Even if they do you may have problems popping out the ceramic rings. For a fly rod they may be fine.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 28, 2017 05:57PM

In my opinion the openings are too small. But there is no reason, if they are big enough for you, not to use them. I've used small single foot fly guides for keepers, work fine, better than some keepers that were designed to be keepers. I now really like the REC titanium allow keepers, so thin they are hardly noticeable, no corrosion, very tough. With any guides, if you want them to work as regular keepers plus drop shot, bend them away from the tip of the rod tip a little. With the RECs, install them with the tilt away from the tip. The locking wrap is good insurance , but I've never had a keeper move no matter which way it was installed.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2017 09:20PM

From time to time I've used a small snake guide as a hook keeper. Stays put like a good hook keeper should, but goes in and comes out much faster and easier than a stock keeper.
Got the idea about 30 years ago from one of the Lamiglas factory guys that also built custom rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2017 09:23PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2017 03:48PM

One can certainly use a guide for a hook keeper, but why?

A simple hook keeper that is sized correctly for the hooks and lures being used works extremely well, inexpensive and easy to install and it also looks "right".

Good luck

Date: August 30, 2017 08:39AM

One may want to use a guide because he has some on hand, as originally stated. I also think that guides are better than some keeper designs. For example, the small drop shot "loops" and folding keepers are inferior in function to a good quality, properly sized, guide. Furthermore, I've had more trouble with corrosion on keepers, even in fresh water, than with any guide I've ever used. I suspect that the metallurgy in some (not all) keepers is suspect. I know what the metallurgy is with guides. A small guide under and forward of the most forward part of the seat/fore-grip will be unobtrusive and very functional. So, in my opinion, there are a number of reasons to use a guide for a keeper.

I have a spinnerbait casting rod I built many years ago, and when I built it I didn't have a keeper around, so used a small ceramic ring single foot fly guide, probably a 6, I've never had line tangle on it, have found no corrosion, and it more easily accepts lure hooks than just about any keeper I've used. Easy in, easy out. The opening, being 90 degrees to the blank axis, seems to work very well. I don't think a size 3 or 4 micro would work as well, especially with spinnerbait hooks.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 31, 2017 04:22PM

I like the hook keepers which are an integral part of the reel seat. I prefer the clean, uncluttered look and function.

Date: August 31, 2017 09:38PM

Phil, photos?

Date: September 01, 2017 11:09AM

Michael: Struble HG series reel seats have integral hook keepers. The R.B Meiser Components website has photos of them. The concept is elegantly simple.

Date: September 01, 2017 12:35PM

Only fly, not spinning or casting. With the fly, just use the frame of the first guide, run the line behind the reel, and you won't likely get the leader into the guides. Simple, and versatile, works with any reel seat, from the cheapest to the most expensive.

Date: September 01, 2017 01:13PM

Looks like spinning and casting are behind the curve. Covering a hook point should not be difficult or require extra hardware and extra wraps and extra weight. Spinning/conventional rod seat manufacturers could offer the same "fold in the forward reel seat ring" hook holder feature but it would not work for anglers using two or three gangs of treble hooks on their lures. I'm not sure what would?

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2017 11:10AM

On fly I run enough line to round the reel and hook the fly on the second or third guide (usually wire). That gives you almost 15" of line without having to strip anything. Sometimes on our spanish/albacore fishing that's all you need when a pod suddenly pops up right at the boat. Unhook the fly, slap it in the water, strip it once, & fish on!

But...on spin & conventional tackle...if you feel that a ring guide will hold up as a hook keeper, then just go ahead & use the stripper guide as your keeper. If you don't want to do that because you feel like you'll damage the stripper, then don't use a ring guide as your hook keeper either.

Just my $.02

Date: September 03, 2017 02:32PM

Jay, the hook through a ceramic ring guide most likely won't damage it, but it really won't matter since you're not running line through it. And, the ceramics are a heck of a lot more resistant to damage than the typical wire keeper. I've had a single foot ceramic fly guide on a casting rod for years, works great, no damage, no corrosion. I've found corrosion the weak point on most keepers.

Date: September 03, 2017 02:33PM

Jay, the hook through a ceramic ring guide most likely won't damage it, but it really won't matter since you're not running line through it. And, the ceramics are a heck of a lot more resistant to damage than the typical wire keeper. I've had a single foot ceramic fly guide on a casting rod for years, works great, no damage, no corrosion. I've found corrosion the weak point on most keepers.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 12, 2017 10:14PM

A little late on this post but, in lieu of reel seats with hook keepers... I have a Lews Custom Pro Speed spool reel which comes with a very durable hook keeper. It flips out if you need it and stores back when in use as fishing. It's a great idea and maybe one that other manufacturers should look into. I have had a number of requests for no hook keeper on the rod due to line tangle, rust, etc. This reel makes so much sence in that application.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster