I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2-piece rod replacement butt
Posted by: Jeffrey Johnson (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 28, 2017 10:55AM

I recently purchased a 2-piece spinning rod that arrived sans the butt portion (the joint is at the front end of the butt). Due to lack of a replacement rod to send, the logistics of packaging back up the rod (in an 88" long pieced together box), and my disgruntled feedback (on account of a language issue), I was issued a refund without having to send the forward rod piece back. I've since ordered and received a COMPLETE version of the same rod, and while I could just use the orphaned piece as a spare, I'd LIKE to use it as a guinea pig and MAKE my own butt for it (especially since I have a proper butt section to use as reference. Without having a properly matched blank section to build the butt around, does anybody offer rod-making supplies that might allow me to find a suitable material/section that I could match to the ferrule on the piece I have? Taper measures from .5095" to .50395". As the rear section of the blank is fully contained within the butt/handle portion (72" front piece length, 7'-9" overall length - the front of the rear blank section actually sits back slightly from the front edge of the fore grip), I'm not terribly concerned it the butt ends up just being, say, all aluminum. But, I'm not fond of the hardware-store-aluminum-tubing approach I've found in online searches, I don't have access to any rod builders or repair shops (to play around and test-fit with blank cutoffs), and the center ferrules I've found simply do not accommodate 1/2"+ blanks.

It's a medium heavy 100-lb. class rod ("small diameter blanks constructed of a blend of graphite and glass") , and ran about $170 (by the time all tax and shipping factored in), so there's at least a little merit in justifying at least a moderate amount of cost. The customization and learning experience as well could justify even possibly crossing that cost mark.

Any guidance and/or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2-piece rod replacement butt
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2017 06:43PM

Make a handle with carbon tubing getting eva, reel seat etc and then epoxy the top section to it and make it a one piece rod for an easy fix.

Posted by: Jeffrey Johnson (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 31, 2017 11:26AM

Thanks - I thought about that, but then it's too long for my rod case & transportation (probably about 8' at that point). If my only options are to either keep it as a spare for the COMPLETE one I got afterwards, or to convert it to a (much longer) one-piece rod, then a spare it shall remain. I'm only considering the replacement butt, as I've seen center ferrules for MAKING travel/2-piece rods, so if I can find one (and use it to mate the top section with something more readily available to use as the foundation for a butt), then that's what I'd like to do. Unfortunately I no longer have access to machine shop resources I once had, or I'd just have them machine a tube section that matches the diameter/taper of the blank, and build a butt on THAT.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2017 12:32PM

Well, then the only alternative is to use a metal ferrule like those sold at Mudhole.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster