I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Soemthing Like a Cane Pole
Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2017 12:06PM

I need a rod for horsing/yanking huge bluegill & shell cracker out of lily pads, American Lotus and other vegetation. Don't want a cane pole. I need something lightweight with the backbone to pull these slabs outs of the weeds/pads. I would prefer something two piece in the range 12- 14 foot and not a telescoping rod. There will not be a reel on it, just a tip top to tie my line. I have seen these rods/fiberglass cane poles online but the reviews were not very good so I am going to build this one. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soemthing Like a Cane Pole
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: August 24, 2017 01:56PM

A steelhead or center pin rod blank in the length you are looking for is worth looking at. The Batson XST line has some possibilities and I am sure there are others like them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2017 01:58PM by Ross Pearson.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2017 02:18PM

depends on how much you need in power either a center pin rod or the next step would be a surf rod for dip style fishing that I assume your doing ,fishing the pockets in the weeds and pads

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 24, 2017 03:46PM

Why not a cane pole? You could easily shim out some aluminum tubing to make it a two-piece pole. I'm continuously cutting and throwing away 15 to 25 foot bamboo canes which are more than rugged enough to lift world-record panfish out of heavy cover. If you live in central Florida I will gladly give you a couple dozen 15 to 20 foot cane poles free of charge.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2017 06:40PM

Don't know if the 12' two piece. or 14' three piece MHX crappie and panfish blank would work for you. I know their 10' blank will lift 2.lb crappie out of the water. Since they are composite blanks they are pretty tough and durable, but might be a little soft. The nice thing is they are relatively inexpensive. Center pin, Spey, salmon or light surf blanks will be more expensive and may not work any better. Some of the European match rod blanks would work well but you can not find them in the US.
[www.mudhole.com]
[www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Re: Something Like a Cane Pole
Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2017 06:44PM

I would say it should be moderate/medium power with at least 1 1/2 pounds lift capability and then of course you must factor in some fight/resistance from the fish & weed. I have to yank them out quick or I want get them out.

I have considered bamboo. Here in Texas we have river cane which is the same thing or almost the same, but for some reason it don't know straight, it just naturally grows crooked, I use a lot of it because I use it to build crappie condos and I am always on the lookout for some straight stuff and then when it drys it seem to get a bit more crooked. So I am kind of stuck with buying something manufactured.

Also I don't want to invest a bunch of money. Something cheep and strong. I do have a bunch of salt water blanks but they tend to be a bit heavier.

Any additional feedback would be welcome.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 24, 2017 08:44PM

Kerry

Have you considered starting with a flipping stick blank and customizing for your type of fishing.

Good Luck!

John

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2017 12:12AM

Have you looked at any of the Japanese "Tenkara" style fishing rods available on line?. Sounds like they are rigged exactly as you mention. I think you can buy them in 1, 2, and 3 pieces or telescoping.

Date: August 25, 2017 11:54AM

How about a bass jigger pole. They come in 14' or 16' models, can make shorter by removing butt section. Inexpensive and may work.
[www.bnmpoles.com]
Norm

Date: August 26, 2017 08:34PM

Kerry - Hope you and your family are safe and sound with minimal problems due to Harvey. Take care of yourself!
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 27, 2017 09:33PM

Why not a cane pole?! Maybe because a cane pole weighs an ounce or two more than a modern blank. We like to keep them as light as possible, you know.

Date: August 27, 2017 10:48PM

Checked my old rod stash and found a 16' telescoping jigger rod that somebody gave me awhile back. With the butt section removed it is about 12 1/2' . The diameter of the butt of butt section is 1 1/8", the diameter of the butt of the next section is about 1". It is a fairly substantial rod and I think it do what you want it to do. You can have it for free if you want it, just email me.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster