I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How To: Ice Blank Profiling
Posted by: Mat Peirce (---.cluster-n.websense.net)
Date: August 23, 2017 11:30PM

I figured it'd be helpful if I shared how I develop new blanks, baseline the final version, and create a repeatable guide for building duplicate custom blanks. I call this process profiling an ice blank.

Materials needed:
Ruler or tape measure
Caliper (digital or dial type will work)
Pen and paper

Process:
Lay your ruler or taper measure parallel to the rod blank with the 1" section being at the tip end of the blank. Measure the blank diameter with the caliper in 1" increments and record the data on your piece of paper.

Transfer the measurements per inch to an Excel spreadsheet and chart the results.

Here is a quick comparison of several off the shelf blanks in both fiberglass and carbon

If you chart the off the shelf blank vs your sanded blank vs the difference of the two it will give you a guide to producing a copy of the blank for your next build. You know exactly how much material needs removed per inch to duplicate the baseline blank's profile.

Having a comparison of blank profiles for both fiberglass and carbon blanks will give you a quick reference for selecting a blank for a specific application. You can quickly and easily associate the profile to the power and action of the blank.

I hope this helps you guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How To: Ice Blank Profiling
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2017 11:36PM

Exactly. Your method is the same method that I use and it works very well.

Take care

Re: How To: Ice Blank Profiling
Posted by: Justin Sietsema (---.dsl2.mond.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 10, 2017 09:04AM

was just reading about this last night it appears to be the only true way to keep all your rods consistent. just got 90 percent of my pieces cut out last night for my wrapper, looking forward to figuring out rod building this winter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster