I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rods for handcapped
Posted by: darrel odland (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 22, 2017 05:31PM

All, Anybody ever build a rod for a person with a prosthetic arm/hand (hook). My good friend loves to fish and wants to take up bank fishing (only fished from a boat in the past) I need to figure out a way of keeping the rod from twisting as he turns the crank. His hook can really tear up a fore grip in just one trip. We use a rail plate (OLD SCHOOL I KNOW<BUT IT WORKS) when boat fishing to keep rod from twisting. I have thought of a loop of parachute cord might work. ANY ideas would be welcomed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rods for handcapped
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2017 06:42PM

Spinning, or casting? Ever thought of using a reel like a centerpin, or mooching reel? On the boat a mooching reel works great, keeping the reeling power much closer to center mass. Pumping and reeling down would take a lot of side load away I'd think, whatever you use. Gimballing the rear grip and a small fighting belt would take away some of the problem also. Maybe a slipover collar for the foregrip area with a ring to accept the hook would save foregrips.

Posted by: Jeff Mayfield (---.sub-70-211-85.myvzw.com)
Date: August 22, 2017 08:33PM

Just a thought why not use an over size guide that he may be able to put the hook into. Don't know if it would work but it may.

Date: August 22, 2017 08:36PM

I would guess there would be a SW guide that could be strong enough or one could be manufactured.

Date: August 22, 2017 08:43PM

Another thought came mind if you attached the guide just in front of fore grip a Velcro strap could go around the grip and his prosthetic arm.

Date: August 22, 2017 09:01PM

Hey Darrel,

What about an aluminum fore grip I would guess a machine shop could manufacture a nice tapered piece that had flat areas for the hook to grip. This could be exposed on the same as a cork grip and made thick enough to hold up to the pressure of the hook.

Date: August 22, 2017 11:27PM

The Heavy Duty Saltwater guides with the stainless or carbide ring go to size 24.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 23, 2017 01:00AM

saw one that attached with 3 bands the butt band had an angled piece that was half way up the outside of the forearm part of the prosthetic and it mounted below as versed to the top where the hook was and it seemed to work well once the guy got use to it as he fished a lot and enjoyed his time on the water.
the idea of using a butt gimbal has good potential as it would be less bulky and could be mounted on the lower side of the prosthetic and secures with a couple of Velcro bands. there hasn't been enough creativity put in to it as of yet and it has been something that has needed to be addressed for many years.
Good luck with the build

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: John McCleish (---.nrflva.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 23, 2017 08:49AM

Spiral wrap it.

Mac

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.opg.com)
Date: August 23, 2017 09:52AM

this is a rod I built for a gent with carpal tunnel and artritis
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: August 23, 2017 10:09AM

Thanks everybody, some GREAT ideas here. The aluminum fore grip sounds good, however I think the metal to metal might not have a holding power needed, But You have given me an idea to use leather as a front grip and have it installed at a saddle shop near by. I will go there today. Just so you know he wants to fish steelies in Northern CA, from the bank. The spinning rod I'm building is a 7.2", 1 piece Rainshadow med action. I should finins soon and will let you all know how it works out
"bent rods to ya"

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 23, 2017 10:18AM

Darrel ; I posted some photos some years ago of a rod I built for my brother who could not bend his wrist. We put a reel on it and took some photos with it in his hand. The handle was called a Cobra Handle. Do a search in the Photo Section under my name. See if you can use this type of handle along with a Spiral Wrap maybe.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: August 30, 2017 09:12PM

Matt, Do you have any pic that might give me an idea of what you mean?? I don't get the velcro wraps
Bent rod to ya
darrel

Date: August 30, 2017 09:18PM

All, Started working with saddle smith who has some GREAT ideas on how to make this work for someone with a hook. Will keep you all in the loop!! WE can open new door for these fishers. Let's work together on this one!!!
Bent rods to ya
darrel

Date: August 31, 2017 11:08PM

Keep it coming Darrel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster