I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

final epoxy coat
Posted by: darrel odland (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2017 11:23AM

What are your practices when applying a final (2nd) coat of epoxy, do you thin with acetone or what???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: final epoxy coat
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2017 12:02PM

For me the second verse is the same as the first. I don't thin epoxy (think it's akin to playing chemist without a degree) though others do. The second coat might be the tiniest bit heavier than the first, but it's a very close call. If I want or need to be certain the second coat is the final coat I'll use a high build formulation over a medium or light viscosity first coat. Don't mix and match different epoxy brands over one another.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2017 01:57PM

Darrel,
The very very very best thing to do with epoxy rod finish is to NEVER EVER thin it.

The epoxy is chemically designed to have the best cure and the greatest strength to be used in the mixing ratios specified by the manufacturer.

You may read in various literature that you can thin the epoxy with Acetone or other Solvents. But, the fact remains that the epoxy will be at its best - with out ever adding a thinner of any sort.

The danger that one runs when adding a thinner is that the epoxy encapsulates the thinner without ever being part of the chemical cure process. As a result, a person may end up with droplets of solvent suspended in the cured epoxy. A less than perfect finish.

If you need to get the finish to flow out a bit more - as you are finishing a rod, simply apply a bit of GENTLE heat. The heat will thin the epoxy and will let if flow out like water.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2017 01:59PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-199.myvzw.com)
Date: August 17, 2017 02:18PM

Darrel

Great question, do not thin the second coat. If you are going to thin, only thin the first coat. Thin it at a 15 to 1 ratio with Acetone.

I would bet that there are almost no chemical engineers that read this forum, but from what we know is that many high end manufacturers that use Flex Coat thin their first coat because it makes sense in their production practices. They use Acetone or DNA. With many decades gone by with these practices proves that with the right technique and attention to the process, this is a harmless and effective practice. However, for the hobbyist or small manufacturer it may not make sense to thin the finish. I am not personally an epoxy formulator, but you can't argue with those real world facts outside of a laboratory.

With all of this said, Roger is right in that gentle heat is a good alternative to thinning. That is what I choose to do on the few rods that I build. A heat gun, lighter, or torch are good heat sources. Just be careful not to scorch the finish, your rod, or the cork. With the heat gun it is possible to blow dust into the air so keep a clean shop and table.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Miki Stenberg (---.elisa-mobile.fi)
Date: August 17, 2017 03:02PM

A 100W or so light bulb is a surpricingly good source for heating epoxy. It is gentle compared to flame etc so you'll not scorch anything by accident and will not stir the air either.

-Miki-

Date: August 19, 2017 04:13PM

Thanks everybody for the GREAT advice, using heat seems to be the answer I needed and I have a heat gun!!! Thanks again all!!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 19, 2017 04:34PM

A heat gun can provide more heat than needed and also can blow a lot of dust around. If you have one a hair dryer is good.

Date: August 20, 2017 01:51AM

Phil,
You have no issues with the heat gun blowing dust around, if you don't have any dust in the work shop.

This is exactly why I do 0 sanding and shaping in the room where I do my guide wrapping and finish application.

From time to time, I open the windows in the shop and use an electric leaf blower to really blow out any possible vestige of dust that might just happen to be anywhere - walls, ceiling, shelves, or closets - up and out the windows with the help of the blower

Pretty simple to keep the dust gone - when you don't generate any dust from any activities in the work shop.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2017 10:58AM

You may find that you do not need any sort of thinning for your 2nd application. You can apply epoxy as thinly as you want. Just put on less. Using a stiffer brush will tend to do this automatically.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2017 01:20PM

I fully agree with Tom. I don't need to do anything with the epoxy except let it do what it wants to do. Be sure to use a light formula and let it do it's thing.

Date: August 22, 2017 05:16PM

Jay, What do you mean by a "light formula"

Date: August 23, 2017 11:32AM

Darrel:
Regular vs. Lite formula:

[flexcoat.com]

The regular finish mixes up thicker than the lite formula. When coating thread wraps, one can coat a rod wrap with regular mix in one or two coats of finish. However when using lite formula, one will need two or three coats of finish for similar coverage.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster